Error Made - Now What?

Rusty204

Bronze Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
Cynthiana KY
Greetings to all and thanks in advance for your guidance as I made a pool opening ERROR and looking to see what's next.
Short Story is - Filled 28,000 gallon -inground vinyl SWG pool---
and I mistakenly added PH+ through skimmer (thinking I was adding stabilizer)// realized error shortly after and have been decreasing PH and Alkalinity using small doses of muriatic acid every day or two. it's been ~10 days now// and though I get the PH and alkalinity down ~7.2 +/- (using the TFT Test Kit and speed stirrer) the they do gradually goes back up to 8+.

MY QUESTION: What to do now - just sit and wait it out (adjusting every day or two as needed with muriatic acid - OR - If I was to backwash will that help stabilize the swings more quickly. In addition to the PH going through skimmer, we've had abundance of hard rain showers.

Using my test kit - the other variables are within normal limits.
thanks for any guidance

Too late to backwash. It's all dissolved now. That pH+ (Washing Soda, Soda Ash) drove the pH and TA through the roof. Acid lowers pH and TA, but the remaining TA pushes pH back up again in a hurry. All you can do is keep knocking the pH down to 7.2 until it slows down to a reasonable interval. If you are sick of it, set aside a day and Lower Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

Thanks richard and i do very much appreciate your help - I will plan to continue keeping the alkalinity and PH in check using the muriatic acid a bit at a time. I was fearful of using too much acid at one time - so do let me know if you have another thought. Water is clean and sparkling

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.