Error Made - Now What?

Rusty204

Bronze Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
Cynthiana KY
Greetings to all and thanks in advance for your guidance as I made a pool opening ERROR and looking to see what's next.
Short Story is - Filled 28,000 gallon -inground vinyl SWG pool---
and I mistakenly added PH+ through skimmer (thinking I was adding stabilizer)// realized error shortly after and have been decreasing PH and Alkalinity using small doses of muriatic acid every day or two. it's been ~10 days now// and though I get the PH and alkalinity down ~7.2 +/- (using the TFT Test Kit and speed stirrer) the they do gradually goes back up to 8+.

MY QUESTION: What to do now - just sit and wait it out (adjusting every day or two as needed with muriatic acid - OR - If I was to backwash will that help stabilize the swings more quickly. In addition to the PH going through skimmer, we've had abundance of hard rain showers.

Using my test kit - the other variables are within normal limits.
thanks for any guidance

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Too late to backwash. It's all dissolved now. That pH+ (Washing Soda, Soda Ash) drove the pH and TA through the roof. Acid lowers pH and TA, but the remaining TA pushes pH back up again in a hurry. All you can do is keep knocking the pH down to 7.2 until it slows down to a reasonable interval. If you are sick of it, set aside a day and Lower Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Do you know what your TA was before all of this and did it work well at maintaining a fairly stable ph number?

If so, I'd try to work your way down to that.

Rusty204

Bronze Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
Cynthiana KY
Thanks richard and i do very much appreciate your help - I will plan to continue keeping the alkalinity and PH in check using the muriatic acid a bit at a time. I was fearful of using too much acid at one time - so do let me know if you have another thought. Water is clean and sparkling

Rusty204

Bronze Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
Cynthiana KY
Put New Liner in (got 11yrs out of previous) filled with city water from fire hydrant -//. Here before l had never had any significant issue keeping water balanced