Equipotential bonding help

Diego168

Apr 9, 2019
Ct
Hi everyone. I recently bought a 7x7’hot tub. I have an old 9’x9 concrete pad with rebar where I want to place the tub. Since this is not a new concrete pad there is no access to the rebar for me to connect to my bonding copper wire. How can I bond the concrete pad. Would it be ok to drill and place rod and attach it to the bonding wire. Or is there other options that don’t requiere I pour a new slab

Thank you

Equipotential bonding of the perimeter surfaces is not required if the installation meets the following conditions in 680.42(B) 1-4:
  1. The spa or hot tub shall be listed as a self-contained spa for aboveground use.
  2. The spa or hot tub shall not be identified as suitable only for indoor use.
  3. The installation shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and shall be located on or above grade.
  4. The top rim of the spa or hot tub shall be at least 28 in. above all surfaces around the hot tub that are within 30 in., measured horizontally from the spa or hot tub. The height of nonconductive external steps for entry to or exit from the self-contained spa shall not be used to reduce or increase this rim height measurement
A spa or hot tub must be listed by one of the third party testing agencies like UL, Met Labs, or ETL and meet all of the conditions in 680.42(B) if an equipotential bonding grid is not installed.

Equipotential bonding of the perimeter surfaces is not required if the installation meets the following conditions in 680.42(B) 1-4:
  1. The spa or hot tub shall be listed as a self-contained spa for aboveground use.
  2. The spa or hot tub shall not be identified as suitable only for indoor use.
  3. The installation shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and shall be located on or above grade.
  4. The top rim of the spa or hot tub shall be at least 28 in. above all surfaces around the hot tub that are within 30 in., measured horizontally from the spa or hot tub. The height of nonconductive external steps for entry to or exit from the self-contained spa shall not be used to reduce or increase this rim height measurement
A spa or hot tub must be listed by one of the third party testing agencies like UL, Met Labs, or ETL and meet all of the conditions in 680.42(B) if an equipotential bonding grid is not installed.
Thank you. I have to check the label of the spa I bought, it hasn’t been delivered. It’s a master spa clarity 7. I read the instruction from their website and It calls for a bonding grid and it comes with a few locations to attach bonding wire.
What should I do about the concrete slab, drill into it place bonding rods 2 per side?
Or rubber mats

If you don't need to do a bonding grid, then that's the easiest thing.

If you do, you probably have to get a solid connection to the rebar or maybe set new rebar or mesh and repour the slab.

You could probably pour over the existing pad.

If you don't need to do a bonding grid, then that's the easiest thing.

If you do, you probably have to get a solid connection to the rebar or maybe set new rebar or mesh and repour the slab.

You could probably pour over the existing pad.

What if I was put rubber mats Home Depot sells they are like 1-2 inch thick, lay them on the concrete pad have the tub on the rubber mats.

A rubber mat will not hold well over the years. Once you have the tub in place you don’t want to need to move it to replace a mat.

Reactions: Diego168
Reactions: Diego168

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you put cooper mesh under a new concrete pour that becomes the pad your tub is bonded to.

Thank you. I think this is the easiest solution.
I thinks that when concrete gets wet it allows the flow of different voltages to the structural rebar. So if there is a bonding grid over the old concrete with a layer resurfaced concrete. This would bond everything ??‍♂️. Seems to make sense.
Either way the tub with be almost to the edge of the concrete pad so not much surface for me to step on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.