Equipment Recommendation

nkrunic

Sep 14, 2020
Cave creek, az
I am in the process of building my pool. Getting ready to purchase the equipment. Any particular site that has the best deals you all can recommend? I've read that Pentair is the preferred? I am building a pool and spa combo so I also need a gas heater. Any particular models you would recommend?

A friend of mine owns a pool cleaning business and suggested that I go with a cartilage filter but with a multicyclone in front of it? Pool will be roughly 20k gallons as a reference for size. Any recommendations are welcome! Something that you wish you would have done when you were building or you wish you would have now. Let me hear all of your ideas! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nkrunic
Where you live, hook up the fill water to a water softener.

Not sure why you would need two filters. If you have lots of debris that can get through the skimmer basket, consider using hairnets/skimmer socks. Get a CCP 420 or 520 cartridge filter.

IntelliCenter is the newest automation from Pentair.

Are you doing an owner build? You need to get the equipment professionally installed to get the full 3 year warranty.

Raypak heaters are popular here, so something to consider.

Are you doing an owner build? You need to get the equipment professionally installed to get the full 3 year warranty.

I am doing owner build but having a sub come out and do the plumbing and install the equipment. Do I need the sub to fill out paper work to submit to Pentair for the 3 year warranty?

nk,

A cyclone in front of the main fitler is just not needed..

I too am a huge fan of Pentair equipment... I usually buy it from Amazon or lately.. Welcome to Polytec Pools

Besides buying from them, I use their website for price checks and as a configuration guide.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I live in AZ where we get the famous dust storms during the summer which just destroys pools. I was told that the cyclone filter extends the life of the main filter. Now haven’t you clean/back wash as much.
I will look into all the links everyone provided! On the fence between the DE filter and cartilage. Is it true that it takes up to 4 hours to clean the cartilage?

A cartridge filter, even the big ones, can be cleaned in a about an hour. My small one takes about 30 minutes. I do it once a year.

I think all my recommendations have been covered. I also agree that you don't need the cyclone. I wish I had started with a robot cleaner and a Pentair VS pump and Intellicenter. Cartridge filters work great just size it right for your installation - that usually means get the largest you can afford. My experience is similar to Marty's. Cleans up in 30 min. The large 4-500 sq ft units should take an hour. Properly sized you'll only do it once or twice per year. I find most heaters are very similar inside. Raypac is definitely preferred by many experts here. I'd probably go with Pentair just due to personal preference. Make sure you get your test kit well in advance of needing it.

Good luck.

Chris

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The advice you receive from the TFP guides and experts are excellent. Follow them.
Buy your TF-100 test kit now and test your fill water. You need it when you start to fill the pool.
Decide now if you will go with a robot or other type of cleaner.
Go with minimum 2inch suction and 1 1/2inch return plumbing lines. Some now are going with 3inch suction and 2 inch returns.
Build your equipment pad larger than you need it and lay out the equipment with ample spacing. You be happy you did when you need to replace something in the distance future.
Spend more $$$ upfront now for better equipment, you save $$$ in the future by not having to replace low quality equipment

On the fence between the DE filter and cartilage. Is it true that it takes up to 4 hours to clean the cartilage?

nk,

Cleaning my "cartilage" takes a while just trying to get that pesky skin out of the way... :mrgreen:

When I built the pool at my house I really wanted a DE filter, as I have DE filters at a couple of rent houses. At the time, I was very disappointed that I had to go with a large cartridge filter.. Now, after 6 years with a cartridge filter, I can't wait for my DE filters to die, so that I can replace them with large cartridge filters.. No more DE to mess with.. No multiport valve to leak or go bad. Dirt simple plumbing.. Low filter back pressure.

Takes me about an hour to clean my cartridges, twice a year.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well you guys definitely made my filter decision easier. Cartridge it is. Now I’m reading about the heater and getting conflicting info. Some say Pentair is more reliable while other say it’s a pain to fix if it goes bad. Raypak on the other hand is a bit more price wise but I have seen mixed reviews regarding wear and tear.

Pentair heater is more complicated with an induced draft blower and has a smaller form factor. Raypak is a natural draft heater with fewer moving parts.

All heaters live in a tough environment and corrode and fail in time. You need to view a heater as a consumable that will be repaired and replaced periodically.

Frequent use of a heater is better for its lifespan then infrequent use. With infrequent use critters like to nest in them and they accumulate moisture and corrosion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.