Equipment Pad Plumbing

ventinc

Silver Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Folsom, CA
Time to redo my pool plumbing and I am looking for suggestions/advice on how to do it better and/or more efficient then when it was installed 10 years ago. My #1 goal is to make my plumbing as efficient, smooth, simple and clean as possible.

Schedule details:
-Pool circulates 1800 rpm- 6 hours a day
-Booster pump polaris 280- 2 hours a day
-Intellichlor pool output- 80%
-Spa Spillway/overflow- 10 minutes a day to change spa water daily
-LED lights, Spa Waterfall, Pool Waterfall, Slide, and Spa Jets do not run on schedules. I use screenlogic to use these features if/when desired.

Equipment pad details:
1. EasyTouch 8 with Screenlogic 2.
2. Pool/Spa- Intelliflo VS(3hp) -to- Triton II Sand Filter -to- StaRite 400k Heater -to- IC40
Solar-Whisperflo 2hp to a Starite cartridge filter with 2in plumbing. Closed loop and automated
4. W/F- Whisperflo 3hp with 4in plumbing. Closed loop.
5. Slide-Whisperflo 1.5hp with 3in plumbing. Closed loop.
6. Jets- Whisperflo 3hp with 4in plumbing. Closed loop.
7. Booster pump to a Polaris 280.

QUESTIONS:

1. Should I get rid of the Sand Filter? Go with a Pentair 520 Cartridge? Nothing wrong with the current sand filter except that I understand that the cartridge filter cleans better? One plumber who has been here hates them. The plumber and company who built my pool swears by them. Who's right? 2" connections into a cartridge filter instead of 1.5" into a multi-port valve would be cool.
2. I think I am going to eliminate the pipe with the black Xs. It ties into the W/F plumbing for extra water GPM to be provided by the Intelliflo. It's not needed as the W/F gets more the enough gpm with its own 3hp pump. To redo this, I would eliminate the actuator and the Jandy T and just use a 90 fitting to plumb to the filter. Should I stay with 3" plumbing when i re-plumb Intelliflo to filter? Thoughts on this section?
3. The heater has a manual bypass valve that currently is fully open. Is this valve necessary? Should I eliminate it? Intelliflo circuits with rpm settings should always give me the flow I want if and when I want heat so why would I need this? Years ago one plumber told me you want minimum flow through the heater and another plumber told me you want maximum flow through the heater. Who is correct?
4. When the return water exits the heater, an actuator/T separates the line into a spa return and a pool return. IC40 is plumbed into the pool return. I have never needed the salt cell to pump chlorine into the spa so i was planning on keeping this same layout. One plumber told me I should have the salt cell go to both pool and spa. Is this necessary?
5. I'm concerned about the lack of straight pipe run before and after the IC40 salt cell. I think it should be longer? I am on my second salt cell.
6. I am concerned about my pool return and my solar return both meeting at the same pipe from different lines, then going down to the pool main drain. This seems like a bad idea to me even though there is a check valve. I think I should put a ball valve where the blue box is on the picture below with all the returns labeled. That would allow me to separate the solar return and the pool return from "dead heading" into each other if they were running at the same time. It's been like this for 10 years without problems but still it feels incorrect to me and at least should have a ball valve. A ball valve closed would only allow the pool return to go to the 6 eyeball returns.
7. Should I add a sacrificial anode?

So I am realizing that some pool equipment starts to wear out around 10 years. I have replaced 2 motors and am doing new bearings and seals in the others to try and preserve them longer. I am happy tear out any of the existing plumbing in order to make the equipment run more efficiently or replace equipment now that will be a problem anyways in a year or two. I am going to replace all irrigation type check valves with pentair check valves. I have gone through all the skimmers, tile/grout line, spillway etc addressing any cracks or leaks and making sure everything is as water tight as I can make it. Plaster is smooth feeling and in good condition and water chemistry is always perfect.

Take a look at the pictures and feel free to comment on any problems, issues, or changes that I should make. My priority is to make the plumbing to be as efficient, smooth, simple and clean as possible.

Designing and ordering what I need this week and starting next week.

pool 14.jpgpool 13.jpgpool 12.jpgpool 11.jpg

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Not what you want to hear but I think your plumbing is fine the way it is. Your proposed changes are not going to make it materially more efficient.

You want the pool heater bypass in case you need to take the heater out of the loop for maintenance. Also heaters have a maximum water flow rate and you may need to bypass some water flow to keep it under that. Too high water flow prematurely wears out the heat exchanger.

Most people set the ET to turn the SWG to 0 or low % when in spa mode. So moving IC40 before SPA/POOL T would make no practical difference.

On the filters- pros and cons to each. Read ...

How many gallons your pool? Please put all your pool details in your signature.

Last edited:

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
V,

If you are doing this for fun, then have at it... Replumbing your pad will not really improve the overall operation to the point that it is going to make any measurable difference.

I have a large cartridge filter and love it, but then I don't need to clean mine but once or twice a year.. Eliminating the multiport might improve the flow a little..

That said, I don't see a compelling reason to replace your sand filter. :scratch:

As long as you keep your spa full of fresh pool water each day, you do not need the IC40 to be plumbed into the spa.

Having a long pipe before the IC40 is best, but does not really have a great impact. It appears to me you have plenty.. I have about an inch.. and it still seems to work fine.

None of the pools in Texas use sacrificial anodes...

I too think your plumbing looks just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

ventinc

Silver Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Folsom, CA
Thanks.

Looks like I won't make any major changes and just clean up some old/unnecessary plumbing. Haven't decided if I am going to go to a cartridge filter or not yet. My sand filter has done great for 10 years so not sure its necessary.

I am going to add the ball valve where the solar water and the pool return water meet and go down to the pool main drain. That will at give me the option of keeping those two pumps from pumping water into each other should there be a check valve failure.

Plumber said I should use pool check valves, not irrigation check valves as my equipment has now. Thoughts on that?

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
I would never use anything except Jandy style check valves.. You can open them, and clean them, or replace the guts, unlike the check valves you have now.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
What a great looking pool. Do you have any pics you can post? Would love to see the 35' slide...:shock: ... Do you still use the endless swim machine?

ventinc

Silver Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Folsom, CA
-Jandy check valves it is. I ordered them today. Going to replace all the check valves since they are 10 years old and I do not know the condition inside them.

Rich D-Thanks. Here are a few pics.

We use the swim machine off and on. It makes a great current at full speed, too fast for me to stay in for more then a minute. When the kids were younger they loved getting "shot" down the pool. They would drop into the pool from the slide and the swim machine current would sweep them to the shallow end of the pool.

IMG_2464.jpgIMG_1485.jpgIMG_2467.jpgIMG_2461.jpg

Last edited:

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
Wow... By far the coolest looking pool I've seen. How much to you charge for admission?? It marries into the landscape perfectly. I have never liked pool slides (not enough bang for your buck) However you definitely re-wrote the book on pool slides..... That is truly a backyard paradise.....