Equipment buying time

Aug 5, 2016
Wilmington/NC
Well winter is here and the pool is close to being closed, now it's time to start picking up things for next season. I've been looking for a new vacuum head for the pool. Santa Claus brought one that I asked for but it's pretty much useless with my set up. Anyone have any recommendations for a good manual vacuum head? The one that Santa brought is a weighted triangle head which I thought would work fine but it doesn't pick up squat.

Also plan on moving my pump and SWG this winter to a more accessible spot, plan on picking up some adapters to go from hard pipe to flexible for the pool connections.

What does everyone else stock up on during the off season?

We are having an above freezing stretch for the next 10 days or so.. as part of my "cabin fever treatment" I scored an automatic pool cover pump at my local pool store. I am tired of dealing with my manual one.. so I hope this works better. During the spring I also love to stock up on TF100 items..gaskets..ect. We are considering changing the location of the equipment pad and finally hard plumbing this year!

Make sure when you do the hard plumbing to have valves that close all of the lines coming out of the pool so you can work on the equipment with out losing too much water.

What does the vacuum head do or not do? I have the "butterfly" one from Walmart and it works fine for me. I do have to have my main drain closed so it has enough suction to pick up the stuff though.

Kim:kim:

Make sure when you do the hard plumbing to have valves that close all of the lines coming out of the pool so you can work on the equipment with out losing too much water.

What does the vacuum head do or not do? I have the "butterfly" one from Walmart and it works fine for me. I do have to have my main drain closed so it has enough suction to pick up the stuff though.

This is the one Santa brought me, because I asked for it
36d5c80e43f4c44ccfb1cd9858cb53c2.jpg

But it doesn't pick up squat. Usually when I put my vacuum attachment in the skimmer I let it sit on top of the skimmer flap to reduce suction with the stock vacuum head and it will pick up any and everything as long as you can keep the head on the pool floor which is why I wanted to try a weighted one. Even with full suction (to the point of wanting to buckle my skimmer basket) the triangle one won't even pick up loose dead algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Santa :( He must be so sad his present is not working. Lets trouble shoot and see if we can fix itl

-Are you SURE there is noting blocking the hole in the vacuum head?

-When the pump is on is the filter gauge at the same pressure it is with the other head?

-Have you put your hand by the hole when the pump is on to see if you can feel it pulling? Does it pull as hard as the other head?

Put the two heads side by side...........how are they different? Look at how long the brushes or whatever holds it off of the floor are. Is there anything that stands out from one to the other?

Mine looks like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/11.25-Swimming-Pool-Weighted-Liner-Butterfly-Vacuum-Head-with-Bumper/44917683

i got that exact same one from Lowes this past summer, and i have not problems whatsoever with mine. i actually love the way it works. hopefully you can figure out what is going on with it.

Yeah I'm not sure. I have my suspicions that the brushes are keeping it to far off the floor. I meant to take closer pics of it today beside the stock one so Kim could see the difference. Using a brand new hose as well. I've put my hand if front of the suction port and it's pulling good but you can park it right over some loose stuff and nothing. I want to like it. Maybe a little trim to the brushes are in order but I'll wait until I post pics and get feed back.

dont understand why you are not getting a good suction. your pump is bigger than mine and i have great suction. how long of a hose are you using? i know i only use a 25'. just throwing out some thoughts.

Lol yeah I looked what pump you ran to. The hose I have is a 20'er I believe. It's a 1 1/4" hose but I can't see that being the issue. It's weird for sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bet it is :( Bummer! With you using everything else that is the same...............it has to be that.

:santa: and he tried so hard.

Took the bristles down quite a bit to where it very close to flush. Suction got better but now the bristles are so short that there's hardly any brushing power. Things getting put up and I'm ordering something else for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.