Equipment Bid Review

jmulca

May 25, 2020
Northern CA
Hi all. I'm working on a backyard renovation & pool project.
Any suggestions/help with the equipment for this bid would be appreciated.

Pool Specs:
Pool Square Feet: 486
Pool Perimeter: 87'
Pool Depth: 3.5' to 6'

Hayward Pool Equipment:
OmniPL pool control panel which is fully automated and can be operated with smart phone,
Google home or Alexa using voice commands, In line chlorine tablet feeder, TriStar variable speed filter pump
SwimClear 3030 cartridge filter, valve actuator to automatically control 3-way valve for water features. Three 1.5" low v
color changing lights in pool. Aquanaut 250 suction pool cleaner with in line filter.

I'm not super crazy about the tablet feeder. I've also seen many threads on hayward vs pentair. Are pool contractors typically one or the other, as in could I request pentair equipment instead?

Thanks!

I can't help you on anything techie or automatic, but I will point out that you do NOT want to depend on chlorine tablets to sanitize your pool. You're vulnerable being in an oft drought area, and tablets/pucks leave behind so much residual stabilizer that folks end up with algae before long and need to drain and refill the pools to lower the stabilizer level.

Go for a Salt Water Chlorine Generagor (SWG) as they're a piece of cake to use, simplify your life and you can leave the pool on short vacation days and not have to worry.

Also, you want to ditch that suction pool cleaner (which requires high energy pump time to run) and get an up to date robot. Check out the Maytronics lines for ones we like the best.

Hayward, Pentair.... dealer choice. Both good. Just make sure you try to keep all the equipment in the same line so that they all talk to each other best.

Maddie

Thanks for posting and welcome to TFP.
Both Pentair and Hayward are reputable manufacturers so it really comes down to integrating all of your equipment. Using same mfg. equipment with automation provides the best integration.

You need to decide how you will chlorinate your pool - using pucks (with the inline chlorinator), using liquid chlorine or using a Salt Water Generator (SWG). Pucks are very much frowned upon but the forum unless it is used for a temporary solution (like vacation). Most prefer SWG as that becomes somewhat more handsfree and others like myself use liquid chlorine because I purchased a home with a pool that had a inline chlorinator which I stopped using as I converted to the TFP methodology and I have not bit the bullet to install a SWG. Being a new pool, you have the opportunity to pick your methodology now.

Also, many on the forum prefer to use a robot cleaner verses a suction cleaner or a pressure pump cleaner. Again you have the opportunity to make that decision now and probably save some headaches in the future.

Using your VS pump to control filtration and water features is doable. I personally like having my water feature on a separate pump system but that obviously costs more $$$ (for the pump). It allows me to always have a secondary circulation path for the pool if needed and also allows me to run just the water features without using my main filtration pump. This is a personal preference but should be a consideration.

Also, if you have 2 skimmers, best to have those suction lines run independently all the way to the equipment pad to provide better control.

i am sure others will jump in to provide more guidance. Also, don't forget to order a good test kit as you need that once the pool is up and running.

I've been lurking on these forums for a while poking through lots of build threads.
I'm leaning towards SWG. Most of the public pools around here and some of my friends pools are SWG. I like it, seems easier.

I've checked out the robot thats usually recommended and figured that suction cleaner would be ditched. Do you just have an outlet within extension cord reach of the pool? I've got a couple already but am considering running one closer to the pool for the robot as long as its within code distance.
I'll have to get the full PB quote posted in here for more feedback.

Thanks

've checked out the robot thats usually recommended and figured that suction cleaner would be ditched. Do you just have an outlet within extension cord reach of the pool? I've got a couple already but am considering running one closer to the pool for the robot as long as its within code distance.
Once you decide on a robot cleaner you need to confirm the wire length. Most come with 50ft but that has to go from your outlet and allow your robot to cover the whole pool. Most pool regs are no electrical socket less than 10ft from water but verify your local regulations. your PB should also know that. Most robot cleaners do NOT recommend using an extension cord - so take that for what its worth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure If I'm supposed to start a new thread or just keep this one rolling. I've got the rest of the bid info figured I'd drop it in here for some feedback:
Ive attached a pic of the current layout from my landscape architect. The architect is not doing the pool (not licensed for it)
I don't have a visual representation of what the PB is building yet(I've asked for one), I have one he drew at my table on a plotter printout of this.

poolv2.JPG

Pool Plumbing:
2.5" main drain suction to pump. 2.5" skimmer suction to pump. 2" return line to pool with three floor returns (floor returns give the best chemical and heat distribution) and a dedicated 2" line to pool for two 1.5" returns in wall of Cabo shelf aiming toward the deep end. 1.5" return line to skimmer. One Venturi skimmer (Venturi technology operates off of suction and return in the case of this skimmer which makes it about 70% more efficient than a non Venturi skimmer which equates to great performance with less flow which means less power consumption and filters work better at lower speeds so also a cleaner pool) 2.5" waterfall return line. Auto fill with anti siphon valve. Overflow tied into landscape drainage. All plumbing pressurized to 40 psi for inspection and throughout construction

Pool Electric:
Two pool light niches in deep end facing away from house. One light niche at Cabo shelf facing deep end. Electrical for pool equipment run from supply near gym. Junction box and transformer for pool lights. All metal within 5' of water will be bonded (this includes the patio cover). One GFCI outlet 10' to 20' away from water's edge per NEC

Steel Reinforcement:
Structural steel installed per Poseidon Pools' plan and engineer's steel schedule for pool

Gunite:
Gunite pneumatically placed per pools plan and engineer's spec's for pool. We will water cure the gunite shell for two weeks. This will not be the responsibility of the client

Waterproof:
Within a few days after gunite, we will install a potassium silicate which helps densify and waterproof the gunite shell. We then use a cementitious waterproofer to seal around all the plumbing penetrations through the gunite shell to eliminate any potential leaks. (Any pool interior finish...plaster, pebble etc. is not waterproof on its own.)

Waterline Tile:
57' of waterline tile in pool . $5/sq.ft. material allowance

Trim Tile:
37' of two rows of 1" x 1" trim tile on steps and benches. $5/sq. ft material allowance.

Rock Work:
30' of notch rock on pool. Approx 5' wide x 30" tall x 6' deep rock waterfall at deep end. Rock work built up about 24" to 30" at notched beam and staggered slightly back with three to four 1.5" lines for weeping wall effect. 25' long x 24" to 30" high rock retaining wall with gravel base, 3" perforated drain behind wall with fabric sleeve and gravel back fill and landscape fabric behind wall.

Concrete:
By others. Poseidon will work closely with concrete contractor for a smooth, timely and successful process. Concrete contractor to backfill plumbing trenches.

Pool Interior Finish:
Scrape gunite surface of pool and koi pond to remove lose debris, pressure wash and thoroughly clean out pool and final clean up on all construction debris, man gates will need to be self closing and self latching and swing away from pool which we will handle at no cost as long as existing gates are intact and do not need to be re-built or heavily repaired. RV gate will be lock only. Install door alarms and floating pool alarm. Install PebbleTec pebble Fina Grigio or Steel gray interior finish

Pool/Start-Up Service:
A pool service technician will monitor and balance pool water during interior finish curing process. Program pool equipment and lighting. 1 hr. pool equipment customer orientation at end of start up period which is roughly 30 days. Payment due after pool start up period and after all punchlist items are taken care of.

Equipment
Detailed above, working on that

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.