DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hello! We will be first time pool owners. We are waiting for a dig date (thanks Weather!),but we are slated to start construction in a couple of weeks. Of course now is when I stumbled on this site. Now I’m questioning everything! We are looking for the easiest & most cost effective equipment choices to maintain our pool. Please offer any feedback you feel is relevant.

We are getting a free form gunite pool with Stonescapes & flagstone with a concrete Sundek. The equipment is all listed in my signature, with the exception that the inline chlorine feeder not being listed. If It is better to provide you all with the model numbers, etc please let me know & I will get them.

We originally were looking into Salt water, but all builders I met with pushed chlorine & all these features that would make maintenance a breeze. :unsure: Now I’m not so sure. I’ve been reading the pool school articles & now I’m super scared about CYA & chlorine & pH & Algae &...o_O I almost feel like I’m not smart enough to have a pool. Please help me iron out these decisions ASAP! I truly appreciate your help!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, many builder seem leery of SWGs, even though they produce what? ..... chlorine! Same a liquid or stabilized chlorine. Go figure. They are scared of having to increase the salt level in the pool I guess, but if you don't have an SWG, you'll be adding tabs that (yes) will increase CYA and are not best for year-long use. After that is liquid chlorine or regular bleach. Those are unstabilized so they will not increase the CYA but chlorine prices are increases since COVID and sometimes hard to find. If your builder doesn't install an SWG, at least request addition plumbing at the end of the return line from the filter so that you can install one yourself later.

Reactions: PoolNewbRN
Also, do you plan to manage your pool water chemistry your self or hire someone? TFPC encourages and is built around the Pool Owner managing their own pool water chemistry and pretty much all facets of the pool owning experience.
Regardless, you will need a proper test kit. See Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool. I suggest the TF100 from TFTestkits.net

Thank you both! I have read those articles & I’m trying to process everything, I guess.

I believe our builder will install SWG, it just doesn’t seem to be their ‘thing.’ They use Hayward equipment, but seems like they put their label on it too.

I am totally fine managing the chemicals, etc myself. I can be a little nit picky about things & I also don’t want to pay someone to do something that I am capable of doing! I’m a big DIYer. Husband, not so much...he may or may not ever help me With it. Time will tell.

Reactions: Casey and mknauss
Taking care of water chemistry is very easy as long as you have the proper test kit - either a TF-100 (my Favorite) or Taylor K-2006C. Just make sure you have one of those before water goes in so you can stay on it. Lots of folks here available to help coach you with any chemistry or equipment issues.

If your user name means what I think it means, pool maintenance is a lot easier than saving lives...so, I think you're good.
The equipment is all listed in my signature, with the exception that the inline chlorine feeder not being listed
You won't need the chlorine feeder. It uses trichlor tablets which will add too much CYA to your pool. Tablets are okay for occasional use, but you can use a tablet floater if necessary. Apply those funds towards an upgrade to a salt water chlorine generator (SWG) rated for 40,000 gallons.

Best of luck!

Reactions: bmoreswim
Hey there PoolNewb.... we get you, we were all pool newbies ourselves at one time. Lets put it this way, managing a pool is easier than an insulin gtt. You refer to the FC/CYA guide and you use only product that pass the 5 rights of medication administration.

We're here for you :) Ask.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Yolie and mknauss
If your user name means what I think it means, pool maintenance is a lot easier than saving lives...so, I think you're good.

You won't need the chlorine feeder. It uses trichlor tablets which will add too much CYA to your pool. Tablets are okay for occasional use, but you can use a tablet floater if necessary. Apply those funds towards an upgrade to a salt water chlorine generator (SWG) rated for 40,000 gallons.

Best of luck!

so I can get rid of the inline chlorine feeder & add the salt water generator & be good to go with everything else as is, correct?

Reactions: Casey and mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey there PoolNewb.... we get you, we were all pool newbies ourselves at one time. Lets put it this way, managing a pool is easier than an insulin gtt. You refer to the FC/CYA guide and you use only product that pass the 5 rights of medication administration.

We're here for you :) Ask.

Maddie :flower:

this is awesome! 🤣 love it!

Hey PnRN and Welcome !!
& all these features that would make maintenance a breeze
Can you expand on ‘all these features’. I know of 3 that are generally not needed. 2 of those (UV and Ozone) are total crocks in outdoor pools. The other on is infloor cleaners which are 5X-10X the price of a great robot that will do a better job cleaning. Anywho, hit us up with the details.

I believe our builder will install SWG, it just doesn’t seem to be their ‘thing.’ They use Hayward equipment, but seems like they put their label on it too.

I made the switch to using a SWcG years ago and haven't looked back. It will make your life easier as the chlorine level is maintained for you at a set level. No algae outbreaks if you slacked on adding chlorine.

Worth noting, if you get a Hayward Pro Logic controller you can use it to control your pump(s), lights, heater and **saltwater cell**. Makes for a clean install and easy to control system. This is what I have on my pool.

I made the switch to using a SWcG years ago and haven't looked back. It will make your life easier as the chlorine level is maintained for you at a set level. No algae outbreaks if you slacked on adding chlorine.

Worth noting, if you get a Hayward Pro Logic controller you can use it to control your pump(s), lights, heater and **saltwater cell**. Makes for a clean install and easy to control system. This is what I have on my pool.

Is this controller something that can be added later or do I need to add it with installation?

Hey PnRN and Welcome !!

Can you expand on ‘all these features’. I know of 3 that are generally not needed. 2 of those (UV and Ozone) are total crocks in outdoor pools. The other on is infloor cleaners which are 5X-10X the price of a great robot that will do a better job cleaning. Anywho, hit us up with the details.
The only ones we went with were the inline chlorinator & the robot that cleans. I feel like they tried to push a couple of other things we just said no. But I now realize how little we know anyway 🤣

Reactions: Newdude
Your signature shows a Pressure Side cleaner, the Smartvac Aries. It is OK, but better is a Robot such as the Maytronics S200.
I thought we did get a robot...he threw it in the pool & it cleaned the floor & goes up the walls...guess I’ll double check what I bought

I thought we did get a robot.
Did a search and not much information. The best robots out there are from Maytronics. Much better to NOT get the robot through the pool builder and buy on your own. Many members have bought robots from Marina Pool Spa in Denver. You have to call them.

Is this controller something that can be added later or do I need to add it with installation?
The best thing to do is get a price on the unit, installed, from the pool builder and decide if it's right for you. With no water features, no spa, and no heater, the cost might not be worth the convenience of operating the pump and SWG. Automation requires more complicated wiring configurations. Upgrading in the future can be costly since existing wiring and controllers need to be changed out.

Are you planning on a spa or heater? Even in a warm climate, a heater is nice to have. Coming out of spring, it takes time for water temps to reach comfortable levels. I've found that I can bump up water temps once or twice and maintain them early in the season with the use of a solar cover.

There are some good articles posted in "TFP Wiki". You can find the link at the bottom of the page. Here is one on automation.

Last edited:
My input, just begining our second year with our pool.

Go with SWG!

it’s easy to maintain, far less chemicals to manage, and did I say - easy!

last year (before TFP) we added salt and water.. swam all summer, it was terrific...

this year have our Taylor K-2006C, will manage using TFP.

enjoy...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.