End stage metal removal-metal magic ph question 7.2 or 7.5+

Jun 26, 2018
Ortonville
I have my pool nearly ready to open. 15,000 vinyl above ground. It has fc at 0 (for the last day) due to an citric acid treatment. Polyquat 60 has been used. PH is at 7.0 due to the addition of citric acid yesterday (I will use AA in the future as I now understand the better binding properties of AA and less downsides such as chloroform formation with CA). TA is at 120 and CYA at 0 but getting some in Tuesday to bring up to standard levels. Before I start raising my FC over the next week to see once it holds, I need to dose the sequestrant. The further reading on the ascorbic acid treatment mentions to keep ph at 7.2 during the addition of the sequestrant. However, on the bottle of metal magic it says to take up to 7.5 or higher. Do I adjust the PH to 7.2 as in the guide or follow the bottle and raise it to 7.5? Also, since my TA is at the upper limit, I know I should aerate to raise it but if I used borax instead, would that significantly add to the TA? I just don't have an effective aeration setup and I will have to wait God knows how long for my return pump to do all the aeration. Thank you for your help!

I recently did this very dance... you can find my thread and I'll update this post with the links. I raised my pH with Borax (basically following the AA treatment in the Wiki) and when I got to a pH of 7.5, I added the Metal Magic.

Thank you Mark. I actually did come across the 2nd thread you posted but not the first. After reading the first, it reminds me that after an hour of adding the citric acid yesterday, what seemed to be clusters of reddish rusty iron particles were floating on the surface of the water. I did have polyfill and filtered out as much as I could before I had to leave for the night. Then the next day (today) I woke up to finally be able to see the bottom of the pool with a lot of rust colored debris (the filter had clogged up so the water had time to settle over night). I vacuumed it up to waste this morning and I am wondering if it was rust that settled or old dead organic debris that settled (I did add flocculant a week or so ago as I was seeking to clear out as much old organic debris after shocking). Algae tends to be greener with the one I deal with so I can't help but wonder if the rust, has actually been taken out of solution and removed, or at least some of it. The water was a noticeable reddish color when being pumped out but nonetheless, I am happy the pool is basically all clear and I think I will move the PH to 7.5 and add MM as you mentioned. Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.