End of season chlorine levels

poolcrazed

Jul 23, 2020
Durhamville, NY
Hello, I did not know about the dangers of pucks until this season so have removed about 4-5" of water three times this summer but the pool is 24,000 gallons and we now have a local water use advisory so I can not do any more with this. I was able to get it down from 160ish to 100/110 and it has been super clear. I am in the northeast and the water temp is now mid-50's but I have not covered it yet for the winter since we are still enjoying the garden area it is in the middle of.
My question is: at this low water temp, since no one is swimming, do I still need to keep the FC 8-13ish? I have a very old liner with numerous patches and am worried about sustained high chlorine levels. Is there any chance of algae growing at this temp? It also gets basically almost zero direct sun this time of the year.
Thanks so much.

If your CYA is 100+ then your FC of 8-13 ppm is not high.

Yes, maintain the FC based on the FC/CYA Levels. Prior to installing the cover and final winterization, raise the FC to SLAM level.

If your CYA is 100+ then your FC of 8-13 ppm is not high.

Yes, maintain the FC based on the FC/CYA Levels. Prior to installing the cover and final winterization, raise the FC to SLAM level.
Thanks for your reply. I just checked the ALK again and it's at 80 (CYA still at 95/100). Since I have a whole bag of Bioguard alkalinity increaser can I add this without affecting my CYA levels? I don't want to go backwards!

Recommended Levels
What Pool Calculator site are you speaking of?

You can use that baking soda if you ever need to. It will only effect your TA and pH.
Yes, I'll use baking soda in future but I already bought this so figure I'd use it if harmless....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.