Eliminate “Minimum” column on CYA/FC chart?

Saturn94

Bronze Supporter
Mar 11, 2015
SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I see so many posts all the time where pool owners are using the “Minimum“ FC number as their target, then don’t understand why they have issues when their FC is “fine”. It makes me wonder if having the “Minimum“ column is more confusing than useful.

Has there been any discussion about eliminating the “Minimum“ column to make it very clear where FC levels should be kept?

Reactions: Mdragger88
The FC Min represents the minimum amount of chlorine needed to maintain an appropriate disinfection rate (kill time). Going below that value doesn’t necessarily mean that pool water is unsanitary, it simply means pathogens have a greater probability of being transmitted person-to-person. Even at the minimum FC values, there still enough chlorine to keep algae at bay (algae is not pathogenic).

What the minimum FC does not represent is the reserve chlorine needed to overcome loss to UV and swimmers (bather load). That is a highly variable figure that can only be determined through testing and use. The Target FC value typically adds enough extra chlorine to compensate for daily losses in an average pool.

Teachable moment .... not everything can be summarized in a table or a chart. So if someone chooses to use the TFP method of pool care and stays at the minimum and gets in trouble with algae .... then it’s a teachable moment if they choose to use it and ask a question. There’s is a amazing amount of detail and richness in the information on this forum...people just have to be conscientious enough to spend some time learning.

Reactions: wireform
The FC Min represents the minimum amount of chlorine needed to maintain an appropriate disinfection rate (kill time). Going below that value doesn’t necessarily mean that pool water is unsanitary, it simply means pathogens have a greater probability of being transmitted person-to-person. Even at the minimum FC values, there still enough chlorine to keep algae at bay (algae is not pathogenic).

What the minimum FC does not represent is the reserve chlorine needed to overcome loss to UV and swimmers (bather load). That is a highly variable figure that can only be determined through testing and use. The Target FC value typically adds enough extra chlorine to compensate for daily losses in an average pool.

Teachable moment .... not everything can be summarized in a table or a chart. So if someone chooses to use the TFP method of pool care and stays at the minimum and gets in trouble with algae .... then it’s a teachable moment if they choose to use it and ask a question. There’s is a amazing amount of detail and richness in the information on this forum...people just have to be conscientious enough to spend some time learning.

Your great explanation should be included on the chart. ??

Your great explanation should be included on the chart. ??

If you click on the links in the chart that take you to @chem geek ‘s original posts about the FC/CYA chart, then you’ll see that it is not my great explanation but Richard’s great explanation .... ?

Reactions: JoeSelf
I'm new here, but am wondering why TFP's mininum and target chlorine ppm's are so much higher than the liquid chlorine bottle's recommended 1-3 ppm for unstabilized pools and 1-1.5 for stabilized?

I'm new here, but am wondering why TFP's mininum and target chlorine ppm's are so much higher than the liquid chlorine bottle's recommended 1-3 ppm for unstabilized pools and 1-1.5 for stabilized?

TFPC uses science to determine the appropriate FC/CYA ratios.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.