Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,

I’m drawing up plans that I have to submit to the town for my permits. Can anyone fill me in about what elevation means in reference to an in ground pool?

I seen my friends set of pool plans and it says 3.2 elevation. What does it mean?
There is a 8” slope where the pool will sit.
Thanks,
Joe

Pool elevation is how high the walls (or pool edge/decking) need to be above ground level. This can vary by city/state/region based on various local conditions and requirements. While aesthetics can linked with that term with a builder, it is drainage that is most important. Essentially, proper elevation is designed to ensure water run-off does not enter the pool.

Pool elevation is how high the walls (or pool edge/decking) need to be above ground level. This can vary by city/state/region based on various local conditions and requirements. While aesthetics can linked with that term with a builder, it is drainage that is most important. Essentially, proper elevation is designed to ensure water run-off does not enter the pool.
Thanks Texas. So my will my pool elevation be the same as my friend since he lives two blocks away?

Thanks Texas. So my will my pool elevation be the same as my friend since he lives two blocks away?
If your yards are similar in design and water run-off, they could be close. Any unique characteristics on your property will dictate that for sure. That should all be spelled-out clearly by the builder beforehand.

When you create the site plan pick a spot in the yard and make that spot as 0'-0" elevation. Use that as a reference to call out all the other locations of the surrounding features and pool. Typically you want the pool a few inches lower than the top of the home's foundation and don't forget to how that will play into the deck drains as well.

I normally use the slab of the house as my starting point for elevations.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
Texas, Even though we live two blocks apart his land is flat mine slightly slopes down.
Bd. For the length of the pool (34’) the property slopes down 8”. Can I use the right side of the pool (highest point) to start with 0’-0” elevation ?
I’m going to have a friend of mine excavate and I’m building the pool. Do I have to put the elevation on the plans when applying for permits?

No, the starting elevation needs to be something existing. I doubt the building department will look for elevations but I've been surprised more often than not on the things they request.
Im going to leave it out and see what happens. Worse case is they will tell me too include it.
Thanks for the help.
Joe

Juat take a copy of ur survey and goto staples and blow it up some. Then overlay the pool onto that using a ruler for scale. Find the lowest spot and make that 0. Take a pencil and draw rough topography lines and mark them up +1 as the grade changes. If you have less than a foot all around leve it alone they want to see 1foot increments. The inches doeant matter to them. They just want to see where water is gonna go in the end your approval will dictate where to grade to the engineering department will write that in or ask you to. It goes thru a few offices after construction like zoning engineering a d sometimes planning. All red tape nonsense we deal with it all the time

Reactions: bdavis466
Juat take a copy of ur survey and goto staples and blow it up some. Then overlay the pool onto that using a ruler for scale. Find the lowest spot and make that 0. Take a pencil and draw rough topography lines and mark them up +1 as the grade changes. If you have less than a foot all around leve it alone they want to see 1foot increments. The inches doeant matter to them. They just want to see where water is gonna go in the end your approval will dictate where to grade to the engineering department will write that in or ask you to. It goes thru a few offices after construction like zoning engineering a d sometimes planning. All red tape nonsense we deal with it all the time
Now I know. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.