Electrician says normal for breaker to equipment pad to sometimes trip when it rains?

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
Trying to get some opinions on whether what my electrician is telling me is legit or not so much. My pool is about 3 months old. So far, on two separate occasions, I have come home to the double-breaker for my pool equipment pad being tripped. Both times it was after a day of steady rain. I'm not sure if this is related or not. I called the electrician today and was told that the breakers of today can be sensitive to moisture and may trip if moisture is sensed, etc. I just found it a little odd that I should kind of expect power to my pad to be interrupted on a rainy day. Seems like if rain is causing that, it's not a good thing in the first place.

What say you?

Raw,

Something does not smell right to me... What he says is true enough that moisture can trip a GFCI breaker... but that moisture should not be getting into anything that is connected to power.

The only time I've had any breaker pop was when I was doing something stupid... :p Rain should just not make a difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I agree that your electrician's answer does not sound right. Your power lines should be adequately installed to account for your local weather climate to prevent any situations where the power grounds out and the breakers trip. I would maybe just do a quick google search for a different local electrician and just quickly run this question by them for an independent second opinion. You would at least then have some quality feedback to go back to your electrician. Maybe your electrician just doesn't want to come back to correct his mistake(s). In any case, maybe time for a new electrician :)

Raw,

Something does not smell right to me... What he says is true enough that moisture can trip a GFCI breaker... but that moisture should not be getting into anything that is connected to power.

The only time I've had any breaker pop was when I was doing something stupid... [emoji14] Rain should just not make a difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I do stupid stuff too, it never seems stupid until I’m finished!! This time I’m innocent.

I just had the same problem at my house.. I had my outdoor panel replaced & new hardwire to pump & a new seal-tite strain relief.

It endured our 2” overnight monsoon & didn’t skip a beat. Fortunately everything was above ground & he knocked it off in under 2 hours & my wallet also survived.

(My panels are 4 years old)

I had the same problem every time it rains, the pump GFCI breaker trips. I found out the wires near the pump electrical inlet the insulation is cracked. Also the conduit is old and water leaks in from the cracks. When water seeps in and conducts electricity it causes the breaker to trip. I replaced the wires and the conduit and it is fine now. I suggest you check your wires and terminals with breaker off to see if they are wet anywhere. Seal any cracks and holes that leaks water into the wires.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.