Headbanger783

Aug 16, 2020
Pa
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Just got our first pool electrical quote...it’s the only thing we have subcontract out.

fiberglass pool being installed this spring and was just looking for some options on it...

filter, SWG, led lights and pump. No heater no automation....there is roughly 90-100feet of trenching involved and he wants to leave space in case we decide to get a heater later on. We have space in our panel so that’s good.

quote was at $4250. Which doesn’t seem too unreasonable to me given the amount of work involved with the trenching.

just curious on anyone’s thoughts. This electrician is very highly rated in our area and has done numerous pools, in ground and above.

thanks!

no automation
You really should consider getting automation with a subpanel and the SWG power supply included to coordinate everything.

Your pump definitely should be a larger variable speed pump.

This is the time to do it right the first time.

If you don't get automation, then you still need to buy the subpanel, the SWG power supply and a timer to control the SWG so that it doesn't stay powered when the pump shuts off. The difference in price is not that much.

If you get a heater, you will want to allow the pump to run at low speed while not heating and speed up when heat is called for.

Yes sorry it will have a timer and sub panel out at the pool. I meant I didn’t need to upgrade the panel in the house because I have breaker space to feel the outside panel.

Yes sorry it will have a timer and sub panel out at the pool. I meant I didn’t need to upgrade the panel in the house because I have breaker space to feel the outside panel.
By the time you buy a subpanel, timer and power supply, the price is not that much different from an automation box with included subpanel and included SWG power supply.

What pump are you getting?

Right now it’s a Jandy single speed 1.5hp (not sure the exact mode number) but I can upgrade to VS for $700 which I’m considering. However I’m really not into automation, I know a lot of people love it but I like basic things that just work haha. Can you have a variable speed pump without automation by wiring the SWG power with the pump as you would a single speed with a timer? Or do VS require automation? I know the SWG cannot not run without the pump running.

thanks!

Don’t even consider a single speed pump! Single speed pumps above 1hp will not be available anymore due to a law going into effect this summer. Even if you find a really good deal an a single single speed, it’s not worth it. Don’t let your builder talk to you into it so he can unload his stock.
2speed at minimum, but I highly encourage going with the variable speed pump. You can set the speeds you need to make the SWG happy and save a lot on your electricity bill.

That’s what I was thinking. The builder wasn’t trying to talk me in to it. It’s just the base that comes with it.
Would the SWG still be wired to the pump so it can’t run independent by accident? The electrician said they are wired for power as one when I mentioned the single speed pump to prevent that

1. Select the system board. Pump, Heater, & 5 Aux RS-P6

2. Select interfaces. iAquaLink.

3. Select the power center. PureLink Sub-Panel Power Center for Automation and Salt Water Chlorination. 6614AP-L

4. Choose a salt water chlorinator. Cell PLC1400.

Pump: ePump (VSSHP220) or VS FloPro Pump VSFHP270.

For live help selecting the right automation system or for tech support for any other Zodiac, Jandy, Polaris®,Baracuda®, or Nature2 product, please call Zodiac tech support M-F 6 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Pacific), 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. (Eastern) at 1-800-822-7933, or email us any time at [email protected]

Reactions: PoolGate

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey banger !! Sorry to backtrack but its relevant. I'm in the early stages of talking to my PB (too early for my build thread) and he gave me a quote of $3500 for the electric work without automation if its 60 ft or less and $21 a foot over that. That would make us $90 apart at 100ft and validates both our quotes. So thanks for helping *me* out with yours. :)

I am going to call some friends to see if they can even do it. All the trades are swamped right now and I might just let the PB handle it so he can have the fun keeping tabs on the work and scheduling.

Just got our second quote back....from who the PB usually works with. Including all my trenching and hooking up everything came to $3550. Can’t complain about that. Oh and I did opt to upgrade to the VS pump.(y)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.