Electrical question concerning a Sundance Cameo hot tub

presse55

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2016
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hello TFP members!

Our Sundance Cameo hot tub came with an add-on SWG - which is awesome!

The spa is serviced with 240V; a power cord carries current from the main controller panel to the SWG unit, which also runs at 240V.

Once the snow finally melts, :kim: I am planning a minor change to the SWG, and I would need it to run on 110-120V, instead of 240.

Question:
Can I expect to be able to run a 110-120V line from the controller to the SWG, replacing the existing 240V one?
In other words, does the controller have clearly identified headers with voltages so that I can know where to connect to?

We're still deep in snow right now in Montreal, and it's not possible for me to access the controller to take a look!

Thanks in advance!

Ron

Hello TFP members!

Our Sundance Cameo hot tub came with an add-on SWG - which is awesome!

The spa is serviced with 240V; a power cord carries current from the main controller panel to the SWG unit, which also runs at 240V.

Once the snow finally melts, :kim: I am planning a minor change to the SWG, and I would need it to run on 110-120V, instead of 240.

Question:
Can I expect to be able to run a 110-120V line from the controller to the SWG, replacing the existing 240V one?
In other words, does the controller have clearly identified headers with voltages so that I can know where to connect to?

We're still deep in snow right now in Montreal, and it's not possible for me to access the controller to take a look!

Thanks in advance!

Ron

Not sure if I've ever seen an SWG that runs on 110V. However, do an internet search for the Sundance Spa Owner/Installation Manual. Usually there is a circuit diagram included (my Coleman/Maxx spa has one) in the manual that details the connections to/from the controller. Good luck! :study:

I would contact the manufacturer as I really doubt this is possible.

The internal plates of an SWG typically need anywhere from 24-32V DC to generate chlorine, not AC voltage. So the input voltage (240VAC) is typically stepped down by a transformer and then rectified (AC is converted to DC). So I really doubt you can change the input voltage to the SWG system without affecting the cells performance, or worse, damaging the voltage converter. Sometimes electrical systems are designed with a jumper that allows one to choose 120VAC or 240VAC as the input voltage source but that is something that has to be intentionally designed as part of the electrical system and it would be obviously located near the input power connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just found a schematic - don't know if this helps.
I have a sneaky suspicion that no 120V service is available from this controller.

Regards

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your replies.

JoyfulNoise: you are right on all points. My SWG does have that jumper, allowing it to operate on either 110V or 240V.
Also, my intention is to bring this 110V line to the SWG control unit, and not the electrolysis plates.

So by feeding SWG control unit 110V from now on, I would simply select the jumper setting to reflect this.

And yes, the DC current to the plates I have measured at around 25VDc in the past.

:cool:

Attachments

• SundanceCameoSchematic.jpg
    SundanceCameoSchematic.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 19
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.