Electrical help - rewiring pool light switch for smart switch

RC121

Bronze Supporter
Jul 9, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
The original x10 switch for my pool light has gone bad and will not turn off the light without manually tripping the gfci it's wired to. Since I need to change the switch anyways and I'd like to have some remote capability for the pool light until I finally break down and get the easy touch, I'm looking at wiring in a zwave switch with a cover on it.

My wiring comes into a box with the intermatic timer that is no longer in use, which is then wired to a gfci, and then to the light switch for the intellibrite 5g. Most smart switches require a neutral wire, which neither the current switch nor the gfci have. I'm assuming there's a neutral wire in the intermatic box (haven't confirmed yet), but how do I wire this to the switch? Do I run it straight from the box to the switch or do I have to tie it into the gfci somehow? Is there a chance there isn't a neutral wire in the intermatic box? I can confirm tomorrow.

20180502_203458.jpg

Here's the wiring. Bottom right hole goes out of the box and to the gfci, hole on the right of the box runs to the pump. Got home too late to take a pic of the gfci and switch and how they are wired, let me know if you need those as well.

Yeah, I'd like to see the gfci and switch.

Looks like the pump is a 240 volt model.

Assuming the conduit on the bottom left is the incoming power, there are 3 wires plus the ground wire going to the gfci/switch. Hopefully one of those is a neutral.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.