Electric Sub Panel - Is this correct?

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Jem,

None of the breakers are GFCI breakers.. So I assume you mean the GFCI outlet..

Hard to tell looking at a pic, but the line voltage goes in one end and load (GFCI controlled) comes out the other end. It is marked on the outlet, Line and Load..

What is it that you have a question about?

Edit... Can you look at the back of the outlet and tell me if the line side is on the bottom or the top???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

jemn1234

Jun 19, 2020
texas
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I mean the GFCI outlet. It looks to me that the hot and neutral source/line wires come in to the outlet on the top and bottom of the near side of the outlet. I would expect them to both come into the top or the bottom, depending on the orientation of the outlet.

Randrx2

Bronze Supporter
Dec 13, 2018
Orlando, FL
Typically, the GFCI has the LOAD wires on top and the LINE on the bottom (assuming this receptacle is this orientation). I have never seen a LINE and LOAD left and right.

Can you post a pic of the back of the GFCI?

I would be more concerned of the fact of none of the breakers being GFCI.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Jem,

If you have an IntelliFlo pump, then it appears your pump is not wired correctly, as the power to the IntelliFlo is constant and does not pass through any relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Jem,

It does not look right, but we need to see a pic of the back of the GFCI outlet to know for sure..

I also have never seen one that has anything but a Line Input on one end and the Load output on the other end.

If this is new, have them come back out and at least check their work..

If you plug a light into the outlet and push the test button does the light go out? Will the light even come on without popping the GFCI?

Thanks,

Jim R.

jemn1234

Jun 19, 2020
texas
This is not my system. I saw this on a web site. I was looking at the wires, testing my understanding (I am not a professional), and I thought, "that doesn't look right." My pool sub panel has the line and one end, and the load at the other, and the load then feeds the lights through a relay. I've never seen a GFCI with a line on the left and load on the right - I've only seen top/bottom.

Randrx2

Bronze Supporter
Dec 13, 2018
Orlando, FL
This is not my system. I saw this on a web site. I was looking at the wires, testing my understanding (I am not a professional), and I thought, "that doesn't look right." My pool sub panel has the line and one end, and the load at the other, and the load then feeds the lights through a relay. I've never seen a GFCI with a line on the left and load on the right - I've only seen top/bottom.
That is a heck of a good catch! Have you sent them a message about it? The pounds thing on the cart is weird too.