electric installation question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2014
new york
Hello..
Rebuilding old pool. Have few questions about electric instalation.
Actually new line... 8awg -3 in metal pipes from house panel... Id like install pool panel on shed's wall (if legal) any grounding rods then? No electric in shed ... Only pump and 2 12v transformers. Thers about 15' from pool to she and id like connect pump permamently no twist lock .
Where gfci breaker should be located? House panel or pump?

Any sugestions ? Any pros and cons

Hello..
Rebuilding old pool. Have few questions about electric instalation.
Actually new line... 8awg -3 in metal pipes from house panel... Id like install pool panel on shed's wall (if legal) any grounding rods then?
Yes, a seperate structure then your primary dwelling will require a ground rod

No electric in shed ... Only pump and 2 12v transformers. Thers about 15' from pool to she and id like connect pump permamently no twist lock .
Where gfci breaker should be located?
In the shed will be fine for the gfi breaker. If you hard wire the pump, then you will need a separate disconnect within sight of the pump. If you leave the cord it serves as a disconnect.

House panel or pump?
???

Any sugestions ? Any pros and cons
Leave the cord.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thanks jza ... house already has 2 rods separated about 6'. So i understand that shed with panel attached to wall no need extra rods?
Looks like need just disconnect switch and im ready to go...

Already got gfci 30amp breaker in house. I guess in shed will install regular breakers and gfci outlet.
Thanks..

Is this a 120v or 240v circuit? If you start moving things around your going to need to bring it up to code. That means pulling a 4th wire for ground or getting an EGC somehow.

1. Is the circuit run in threaded rigid pipe?
2. Are there bonding bushings on the pipe?
Pictures would help.

If this is just a 120V circuit then all of the above can be thrown out.

Circut is 240volts with 4th wire as ground. Metal pipes 6" below, compresion couplings, no threaded. All pipes going 5' and more from pool walls. Shed is about 17' from pool. Wires are 8awg thhn/thwn2. 30amp gfci breaker in main panel.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree if he moves the sub panel into his shed he needs a GE.
Sub panel will be outside on the wall not into shed

Bare #8 to ground bus of the pool panel. Can be a few feet away outside the shed. I wouldn't go to far. By memory is supposed to have 25 ohms to ground or less, if not 2 are required. I do not think an inspector will go that far for a sub panel. But just letting you know the code. It wouldn't be a big deal to add one later

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not know who is, or is not qualified to answer the technical questions about the wiring in question, but it is the strong advice of the forum to seek a qualified electrician to examine and look at this first hand.

There are no aspersions or doubts being cast, do not misunderstand, but most of us are pool owners not qualified to answer such questions. You may get the correct answer here, but verify it as I suggested above.

I also agree with getting a qualified electrician out there to look at the site. The bonding of the pool and electrical grounding are two separate systems they should not be joined together. There is no need to drive any grounding rods for a pool panel. The electrical ground for the subpanel should be wired back to the main panel with insulated ground wire.

I also agree with getting a qualified electrician out there to look at the site. The bonding of the pool and electrical grounding are to separate systems they should not be joined together. There is no need to drive any grounding rods for a pool panel. The electrical ground for the subpanel should be wired back to the main panel with insulated ground wire.
I'm sorry but I think you are misunderstanding. You are correct, you do not need a ground rod for a pool panel. You do need a ground rod because it is a panel in a seperate structure (op is installing a panel in his shed).
I'm not trying to argue with you. Just trying to get the op the correct information for a safe install
1eed3581af205cf578d415925c3dfd93.jpg

The Code is clear separate structures supplied with feeders or a multiwire branch circuit require their own grounding electrode. That said whether this qualifies as a separate structure, etc, etc, is a question best determined by a local inspector in that jurisdiction. I know how I would do it based on my experience with California inspectors. A local inspector in NY may see it differently. So I would be hesitant to state how to do it. I would call the local building department or a qualified electrician and ask.

That said the NEC generally allows additional grounding electrodes without any limit. And remember --- if you install a sub panel -- its still a sub panel and must have a separate neutral and ground buss bars.

I think gwegan wraps this up nicely with sound advice, so lets put it to rest and let the local qualified people determine what is needed.

Get this checked out by the pros and inspectors as suggested please. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.