schwim123

May 24, 2022
Franklin, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
How much does Dichlor shock and Trichlor tabs lower TA? It isn’t mentioned in the pool math calculator under the “effects of adding chemicals” section but I assume they both lower TA since they lower PH. I know that Dichlor and Trichlor use is discouraged on here because it can raise CYA quickly and lower PH , but I’ve got a bunch of both in my garage that I’d like to use up. I will make sure to stop using it when the calculator shows that I will meet my CYA target and will adjust PH if needed when using it. I’m getting ready to SLAM my cloudy pool and was planning on using 2.5 lbs to get CYA from 20 to 30 and lower pH from 7.8 to 7.4. This should get my water at recommended levels for a SLAM. TA is only 60 so I need to know if I need to increase TA to a particular level with baking soda before adding it. I’d like to know how much Trichlor decreases TA too since I plan on using Trichlor tabs during vacation soon. I’ve done several SLAMS before and have been following TFP advice for several years now so I’m not a newbie at this.

The quick and dirty answer to this is- Dichlor and Trichlor are both acidic. This acidic nature over time drops your pH. When you lower pH with muriatic acid for example, the TA also tends to go that way. The TA is the absolute last chemistry element we worry about. All it does it stay stable, or pull the pH up faster if its high.

Using PoolMath's "Effects of Adding Chemical" section, input each chemical you want to use and it will tell you how that will change your water. Very cool feature! :)

Your plan sounds do-able to me as long as you know and understand how it will act in your pool.

Maddie :flower:

Per 10ppm of FC that you add with Trichlor, TA will get reduced by 7ppm, once those 10ppm of FC have been used (right after addition there is no change in TA, but after chlorine consumption of 10ppm, TA will get reduced by 7ppm). CYA increases by about 6ppm.

Per 10ppm of FC that you add with Dichlor, TA will get reduced by 3.5ppm, once those 10ppm of FC have been used (right after addition TA increases by 3.5ppm, but after chlorine consumption of 10ppm, TA will get reduced by 7ppm, so the effective reduction is 3.5ppm). CYA increases by about 9ppm.

Reactions: schwim123
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.