Echo weed eater keeps stalling

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
i've had this beast for three years now. It keeps stalling. I edge maybe 10 feet of curb and it stalls out. I've tried different throttle settings, I've checked the air filter, and I use Trufuel 50:1 gas oil mix. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Mine didn't survive the 10th time I threw it across the yard.
Believe me it almost learned to fly this morning! Many salty expressions were uttered!

I tried removing the air filter, didn't help. I need a ratchet that will fit my spark plug socket so I can remove and check it. I have some throttle body cleaner, but I really don't want to have to take everything apart.

Gee, those things are usually tanks and very reliable. Mine has been doing pretty well so far on (I think) year #3, and I run the heck out of it on my property. Hopefully you'll crack the code on it with something simple. The Trufuel should've kept the inside clean though, so that's odd.

Don't toss it without trying some simple cleaning of the carb. It's not rocket science, taking off a 6oz carb, unscrewing a few screws and blowing some brake cleaner thru the ports/jets. Just be careful if it has rubber diaphragms, don't tear them whilst disassembly.

If I can manage to find a 1/2" ratchet to go with my spark plug socket I might be able to figure out if it is good or not. I bought an adapter and brought it home and it is 1/2" female, 1/4" male and I need it the other way around. Aarrgh! I may try and see if my vise grips are large enough to grip the socket tomorrow.

My Echo SRM 230 runs great at over 10 years old.
Last year it was finicky on running so I bought a clone carburetor on Amazon for $16.00 along with the new fuel line kit for the tank spark plug and air filter, about $40 in all and it started 2nd pull

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.