EasyTouch 4 - connecting landscape lights?

gman8177

May 6, 2019
Tustin, CA
I had an electrician out over the weekend and he said that the way my unit was hooked up, he wasnt able to figure out how to add the new lights around the pool to the Aux. It appears I need additional Aux ports (red connectors) but at the same time he said that it was odd that nothing was connected to the far right power block. I have a feeling he is right and that something is mis-wired although I am able to use my "features." Does anyone else see an issue with this based on the photos?

Attachments

• IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0715.JPG
    IMG_0715.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0716.JPG
    IMG_0716.JPG
    438.7 KB · Views: 42

I suggest you hire an electrician that has a clue about automation systems...

You have an ET 4 and you have only used three of the four relays.. The Aux 3 relay (the one on the far right) is not currently used and could be used to control your landscape lights..

Basically you just provide voltage to the line side of the relay and the connect a landscape transformer to the load side of the relay. You can then schedule the lights or push the Aux 3 button and turn on the lights..

The main issue I see is that it "appears" that your Salt cell's transformer is not wired into the Pump/Filter relay (The one on the top left).. This is not an option it is a safety requirement. The cell should never get power if the pump is not running. If the pump is off the cell should not have any light on... It could just be what I can see in the pic, but I would want to double check..)

Do you have a VS pump or single speed pump? Do you have ScreenLogic..?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim. Yes, it was clear that he was an electrician that installed the exterior post lights around the pool but was not familiar with the automation. He gave it a good shot but I told him that I would rather check to be sure.

I am not familiar with the Salt Cell Transformer but perhaps I can ask my pool builder since its only a few months old.

I have a single speed pump.

Thank you.

When the pump is off, just look at the salt cell.. If it has any lights on, the EasyTouch is wired wrong.. If all the lights are off, then it is wired correctly.

I was assuming the landscape lights were low voltage.. If not, then the Aux 3 relay, just needs to be connected into the lights without a transformer. If 120 volt lights, then you need a GFCI breaker to feed power to the relay...

Thanks,

Jim R.

At least in my case, we assigned one of the aux relays to turn on/ off an external single gang seal tite outlet box. I then plugged my transformer into the outlet. I can also plug anything else into that outlet that I want to turn on/ off with that same aux relay.

The main issue I see is that it "appears" that your Salt cell's transformer is not wired into the Pump/Filter relay (The one on the top left).. This is not an option it is a safety requirement. The cell should never get power if the pump is not running. If the pump is off the cell should not have any light on... It could just be what I can see in the pic, but I would want to double check..)

If you haven't already confirmed that the SWG doesn't get power when the pump is off I'd take a look ASAP. The post Explosion near the SWG shows you what can occur if this isn't the case...

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.