May 12, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey all!

Been a long time follower here and utilize all the resources, including Pool Math. My main question is: On a Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, all the numbers on the panel look good and readings are correct, but is there another physical way to test to see if the salt cell is producing chlorine?

Background:
My original T-15 Salt Cell died about 1 month ago. I went and bought another one for $1K (ouch!), re-installed and had it up and running per the controller. Everything is honed in, but now 2 weeks later I found myself with a pool full of yellow algae and 0 chlorine. So this past weekend I went ahead and performed a SLAM, had ~60 CYA so brought my FC up to about 20-23 PPM. 2 days later of the SLAM and I passed all the tests, including the OCLT.

Since I was in the clear, I turned the salt cell back on to ~60% (pump runs from 8AM-4PM) and all the salt cell readings are clear. Now, about 1.5 days later from passing my OCLT at 22PPM, my FC is reading ~14 PPM. I know FC falls off when it is higher, but didn't think it would fall off that fast.. if the salt cell is working? I am in central Florida and hitting 85 degree days + running a solar panel.

Is my best bet to test the pool at 9PM, run the pump overnight and run the salt cell at 100%, then test again at 7AM and see if the FC went up, to prove the salt cell is functioning?

The overnight Gain test is a great way. You can post the diagnostic data also.
Ok, I will run the gain test tonight. Diagnostics all looked good, around 88 degrees, -3200 salt, ~6Amps, and ~26V, but I will send the exact numbers tonight when I turn the cell back on. Everything on the controller appears to be working as expected, the FC loss just stumps me.

If the diagnostics show you are generating chlorine, you are.

Be sure you absolutely passed all three criteria for the SLAM.
Thanks! Did a gain test and put 100% on my salt cell overnight and FC went from 17 to 25, so I am in the clear with the salt cell working.

I had around 1.5CC last night when I tested 17FC, so my SLAM maybe just wasn't finished.

As always, thanks for the help.

Reactions: mknauss
To get the performance of the cell, divide the instant salinity by the actual salinity. If the ratio is less than 75%, it's time for a new cell. For example, 2,000 (instant salinity) ÷ 3,600 (measured salinity with a test kit)=56%. Check the cell and clean it if necessary. If that doesn't work, it's time for a new cell.

To get the performance of the cell, divide the instant salinity by the actual salinity. If the ratio is less than 75%, it's time for a new cell. For example, 2,000 (instant salinity) ÷ 3,600 (measured salinity with a test kit)=56%. Check the cell and clean it if necessary. If that doesn't work, it's time for a new cell.
Thanks, yeah this is a brand new cell that showed the correct diagnostics, I was just questioning whether it was really putting out chlorine or not.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.