Easy Touch valve issue

rrtrblfix

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2021
Austin, TX
Hi Folks,
My pool technician recently installed a new Easy Touch 8 system. I have two pumps: pump #1 pool/spa and pump #2 bubbler/laminar.
The valve for pump #2 is the issue. Proper valve operation should be to default to the bubbler. However, when pump #1 turns on it also activates the bubbler/laminar valve to laminar position. When pump #1 turns off, the bubbler/laminar valve activates to move the valve to bubbler position.
When I select the bubbler on the Easy Touch remote, the valve remains open in laminar position and won't move to open for the bubbler.
I can manually operate the bubbler in service mode, so I presume there is some kind of a configuration issue.
I'm confused by the menu options and fearful I might screw up the other configurations that the technician input.
When launching the Menu> F. Circuits (Feature Circuits), I see that Feature 1 is [ON] and Feature 2 - 8 is [OFF] but don't have a clue what that means or how (or if) it relates to the valves.
Has anybody seen this kind of trouble before?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Dan

Please post a picture of your equipment pad. What happens to all of the valves when you hit Spa Mode and then back to Pool Mode?

It appears your valve wires got connected to the incorrect relay but just want to ensure what happens just focusing on the Spa and Pool modes. This would be pump #1 - your main circulation/filtration pump.

Also confirm that you have 3 automated valves. One on the suction side, one on the return side (for pump #1) and one for you bubbler/laminar feature (for pump #2).

Also asking @Jimrahbe to provide any thoughts he may have.

See page 13-14 in the EasyTouch Installation Manual. We need to know which of the four valve sockets your waterfeature valve is plugged into.

Please post a picture of your equipment pad. What happens to all of the valves when you hit Spa Mode and then back to Pool Mode?

It appears your valve wires got connected to the incorrect relay but just want to ensure what happens just focusing on the Spa and Pool modes. This would be pump #1 - your main circulation/filtration pump.

Also confirm that you have 3 automated valves. One on the suction side, one on the return side (for pump #1) and one for you bubbler/laminar feature (for pump #2).

Also asking @Jimrahbe to provide any thoughts he may have.
Here's the photo. The return and suction valves operate to spa position when spa is selected. The bubbler/laminar valve remains unmoved.
When I turn on the pool the pool/spa valves are already in default pool positions and the bubbler/laminar valve activates to laminar position. The bubbler/laminar valve remains in laminar position whether I select spa or pool. When I turn off the pool, the bubbler/laminar activates to bubbler position.
Yes, three automated valves.
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpeg
    IMG_0374.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 6
Dan,

The valve that selects bubbler/laminar has nothing to do with Pool or Spa mode.. It will only move if Feature #1 is on or off... (I assume it is controlled by Feature #1, but that might not be true... )

I am not exactly sure how you expect it to work.. :scratch: If the only problem is that it selects laminar when you want it to select bubbler, then just move the little 3-way switch on the actuator from the "on" position it is currently in, to the opposite "on" position...

Do you have ScreenLogic?? If so, show me the following two set up pages...

Please tell me when you expect the bubbler/laminar valve to move... The EasyTouch can not link commands together, so what action on your part is going to tell the valve to move???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Please tell me when you expect the bubbler/laminar valve to move... The EasyTouch can not link commands together, so what action on your part is going to tell the valve to move???
Jim - he has 2 pumps of which one is dedicated to the bubbler/laminar. I think the concern is why is the automated valve moving on that #2 pump plumbing system when he turns on and off the main circulation pump (#1). I would think there should be a separate valve control that tells whether to move the bubbler/laminar valve. Hope this helps clarifies what I think is the issue.

Here's the photo. The return and suction valves operate to spa position when spa is selected. The bubbler/laminar valve remains unmoved.
When I turn on the pool the pool/spa valves are already in default pool positions and the bubbler/laminar valve activates to laminar position. The bubbler/laminar valve remains in laminar position whether I select spa or pool. When I turn off the pool, the bubbler/laminar activates to bubbler position.
Yes, three automated valves.
Dan
Dan - does the automated bubbler/laminar valve move when you turn on Pump #2? What do you press to move the automated bubbler/laminar valve regardless if pump #1 (pool & spa) is on or off.

Dan,

The valve that selects bubbler/laminar has nothing to do with Pool or Spa mode.. It will only move if Feature #1 is on or off... (I assume it is controlled by Feature #1, but that might not be true... )

I am not exactly sure how you expect it to work.. :scratch: If the only problem is that it selects laminar when you want it to select bubbler, then just move the little 3-way switch on the actuator from the "on" position it is currently in, to the opposite "on" position...

Do you have ScreenLogic?? If so, show me the following two set up pages...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim, I found the actuator post in another thread and tried it. The valve rotates to bubbler but then it won't move when I select laminar on Easy Touch - just an opposite manifestation of the problem.
ScreenLogic is another perplexing issue. I can receive data (temps, current operation status) but can't send commands (e.g., can't turn on spa). I'll address the communication issue separately at a later date.
Thanks, Dan

Jim - he has 2 pumps of which one is dedicated to the bubbler/laminar. I think the concern is why is the automated valve moving on that #2 pump plumbing system when he turns on and off the main circulation pump (#1). I would think there should be a separate valve control that tells whether to move the bubbler/laminar valve. Hope this helps clarifies what I think is the issue.
Hi HermanTX,
Correct, why is operation of pump #1 affecting pump #2 plumbing? I could open the power enclosure take a photo and describe the wiring, if it would help.
I tried the actuator switch tip but it just reverses the problem.
Also, SPA Freeze:YES, POOL Freeze:YES, CLEANER Freeze: YES, and BUBBLERS Freeze: YES. All others, Freeze:NO. I'm unsure why SPA freeze is on since it's the same pump as POOL.

Dan - does the automated bubbler/laminar valve move when you turn on Pump #2? What do you press to move the automated bubbler/laminar valve regardless if pump #1 (pool & spa) is on or off.
HermanTX,
The bubbler/laminar valve is bubbler open when both pumps are off. I left pump #1 off then turned on pump #2 (by pressing the bubbler button on the EasyTouch) and the bubblers operate at the pre-set RPM. When I select laminar, the valve remains bubbler open AND operates at the pre-set laminar RPM (the bubblers get higher). Curious that the valve doesn't move to laminar open.
What used to happen was that I could see the bubblers slowly decrease to off and the laminars slowly increase to on. A visual representation of valve movement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See page 13-14 in the EasyTouch Installation Manual. We need to know which of the four valve sockets your waterfeature valve is plugged into.
Hi Allen,
I'm a novice to configuration and find the flow diagram only modestly helpful.
If you could give me a decision tree to the valve sockets (e.g., Menu>Settings>IntelliFlo or whatever), I could retrieve that information for you. I'm in the dark as to what a valve socket is.
Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

We need to see a pic of the back of the board where all the valves and relays plug in..

How do you "select" Laminar? This is the key.. Whatever Circuit you turn on to select Laminar is the same one that should be assigned to the valve...

We need to know where the Bubbler/Laminar actuator is connected.. Should be valve A or B and we need to know what Circuit valve A or B is assigned to...

Menu, Settings, Valves, --- Tell us what Circuit shows up next to valves A and B

The only reason I asked about ScreenLogic is because it makes programming and troubleshooting a 10 minutes task instead of a 10 hour task...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
@rrtrblfix I attached a screen shot from the manual that Allen has referenced earlier. See the notation for "valve sockets". Need to trace how each of your 3 automated valves is hooked to a valve socket on the board.
Screenshot 2021-08-15 100930.jpg

Dan,

We need to see a pic of the back of the board where all the valves and relays plug in..

How do you "select" Laminar? This is the key.. Whatever Circuit you turn on to select Laminar is the same one that should be assigned to the valve...

We need to know where the Bubbler/Laminar actuator is connected.. Should be valve A or B and we need to know what Circuit valve A or B is assigned to...

Menu, Settings, Valves, --- Tell us what Circuit shows up next to valves A and B

The only reason I asked about ScreenLogic is because it makes programming and troubleshooting a 10 minutes task instead of a 10 hour task...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,
Attached please find the EasyTouch panel rear view. I select Laminar on the EasyTouch remote. Valve A: [POOL], Valve B: [BUBBLERS].
Agreed, ScreenLogic is much easier and more robust. I will be relieved once I can get it back operating properly.
From Herman's reply, I found the diagram in the User's guide (page 62, attached). When I looked at the board, the socket for Valve B was vacant (see photo).
As a test, I moved the connector from Valve A to Valve B. I powered down the board to make the move. Upon reboot, the pool turned on properly and the BUBBLER valve did NOT move. I selected SPA on the EasyTouch remote and the spa turned on. However, when I selected POOL, nothing happened. I couldn't change it back to POOL. I powered down the board and moved the connector back to Valve A.
I've also attached a photo of the EasyTouch remote so that you can associate the buttons with the AUX sockets.

Attachments

• EasyTouch panel rear.jpg
    EasyTouch panel rear.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 63
  • EasyTouch wiring diagram.jpg
    EasyTouch wiring diagram.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 7
  • EasyTouch remote.jpg
    EasyTouch remote.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 7
@rrtrblfix I attached a screen shot from the manual that Allen has referenced earlier. See the notation for "valve sockets". Need to trace how each of your 3 automated valves is hooked to a valve socket on the board.
View attachment 364523
Hi Herman,
Attached please find the EasyTouch panel rear view.
I found the diagram in the User's guide (page 62, attached). When I looked at the board, the socket for Valve B was vacant (see photo).
As a test, I moved the connector from Valve A to Valve B. I powered down the board to make the move. Upon reboot, the pool turned on properly and the BUBBLER valve did NOT move. I selected SPA on the EasyTouch remote and the spa turned on. However, when I selected POOL, nothing happened. I couldn't change it back to POOL. I powered down the board and moved the connector back to Valve A.
I've also attached a photo of the EasyTouch remote so that you can associate the buttons with the AUX sockets.
Water feature button is the laminars.
Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• EasyTouch wiring diagram.jpg
    EasyTouch wiring diagram.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 5
  • EasyTouch panel rear.jpg
    EasyTouch panel rear.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 5
  • EasyTouch remote.jpg
    EasyTouch remote.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 5
Dan,

The EasyTouch has to know when to turn the bubbler valve on... It knows this by assigning a "Circuit" to the valve driver.

It should not move based on Pool mode or Spa mode.. Only when you push the bubbler button.

We need to know what Circuit is assigned to valve A..

Please go to Menu, Settings, Valves, and tell us what the screen says.

Should be something like this..

SET Valves
A [ XXXXXX ] we need to know what this box says
B [ none ]

Also.. Just to make sure the installer did not mix up two valves.. When you switch between the Pool mode and Spa mode, the Intake and Return valves should both move 180 degrees.. Is that working ok??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Dan,

The EasyTouch has to know when to turn the bubbler valve on... It knows this by assigning a "Circuit" to the valve driver.

It should not move based on Pool mode or Spa mode.. Only when you push the bubbler button.

We need to know what Circuit is assigned to valve A..

Please go to Menu, Settings, Valves, and tell us what the screen says.

Should be something like this..

SET Valves
A [ XXXXXX ] we need to know what this box says
B [ none ]

Also.. Just to make sure the installer did not mix up two valves.. When you switch between the Pool mode and Spa mode, the Intake and Return valves should both move 180 degrees.. Is that working ok??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,
The current configurations are:
A [POOL]
B [BUBBLERS]
I presume I should set the configuration to A [Bubblers] and B [none] (since VLV B socket is vacant)
Pool & Spa modes move Intake and Return valves properly.
Thanks,
Dan

I presume I should set the configuration to A [Bubblers] and B [none] (since VLV B socket is vacant)
Pool & Spa modes move Intake and Return valves properly.

Dan,

You can either do that or just move the connector from A to B...

Whatever is easier for you.

After you do this, the bubbler valve should never move unless you push the bubbler button on your remote.. If it is working "backwards" you will just need to move the little toggle on the actuator to the opposite on position..

After you get it working correctly... as a test, push the Aux 7 button on your main panel and see if the valve moves...

Please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dan,

You can either do that or just move the connector from A to B...

Whatever is easier for you.

After you do this, the bubbler valve should never move unless you push the bubbler button on your remote.. If it is working "backwards" you will just need to move the little toggle on the actuator to the opposite on position..

After you get it working correctly... as a test, push the Aux 7 button on your main panel and see if the valve moves...

Please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, Herman, Allen,
Here is the unexpected fix: Menu>Settings>Valves>A: [Laminar] B: [NONE]. Everything works perfect.
A really big THANK YOU for all of your help. It's time to become a Gold supporter of TFP. Not only did you help me fix my problem, I got a first rate education, too. Hurray!
Kind Regards,
Dan

Jim, Herman, Allen,
Here is the unexpected fix: Menu>Settings>Valves>A: [Laminar] B: [NONE]. Everything works perfect.
A really big THANK YOU for all of your help. It's time to become a Gold supporter of TFP. Not only did you help me fix my problem, I got a first rate education, too. Hurray!
Kind Regards,
Dan

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.