Easy Touch and Intelliflo

Jeff2801

Jun 15, 2020
Houston, Texas
New Intelliflo VSF pool pump installed. Works great on its own but having problems when connecting to the Easy Touch (F/W 2.140). Per the Intelliflo manual the pump is hard wired to the power supply and the Easy Touch pump relay is not used. The communication cable is attached to the pump and the green/yellow wires to J20 on the Easy Touch.

Pump panel says "Display not in use" so we connection. In the Easy Touch settings, pump type is set to Inteiliflo VSF, program 1 is set to RPM, 2500, SPA (circuit 1 ), Program 2 is set to RPM, 2500, Pool (circuit 2).

When the Easy Touch is set to Auto, the Easy Touch panel pump led lights up, the pump start/stop LED lights up, the pump primes (about 30 seconds) then slows to a stop.

I disconnected the communications cable, disabled the prime feature, power cycled the pump, reconnected the cable. Now when the Easy Touch is set to Auto, the Easy Touch panel pump led lights up, the pump start/stop LED lights up, but the pump does nothing.

I also tried setting program 2 to GPM, 50, Pool (circuit 2). Now the Easy Touch panel pump led lights up, the pump start/stop LED lights up, and the pump runs very slowly at about 450 rpm / 19 gpm. Changing the flow rate setting has no further impact. What am i missing?

As I have said, the pump is working perfectly independent of the Easy Touch, just can't get the two to talk to each other properly. Am is missing some jumper or other settings on the Easy Touch?

I do have screen logic and i can communicate with the EasyTouch and change settings (although i have that currently disconnected to remove a potential variable). I have checked the pump communication cable with an multimeter and no loss in conductivity. I even reduced the cable down to the appropriate length rather than the full 50 feet.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff,

As long as the pump says "Display Not Active" the pump is being controlled by the EasyTouch..

I suggest you reconnect your ScreenLogic so we can see your set up pages..

Have you set up a run schedule??? Like this..

And for now set everything to RPM.. Most people don't need GPM... You can add later if needed..

Here is what your set up page should look like (In general)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the quick response. Wires are now reconnected to ScreenLogic, Communication cable is plugged in, Pump says "display not active", Easy Touch pump led is on, pump panel LED stop / start indicator is on. This is what is get:

jdh001.png

jdh002.png

Pump is inactive.

How did you get to your second picture "Set up intelliflow"

Jeff,

I can't see any real obvious reason, that your pump should not run.. :scratch:

Do you have any egg-timers set up to anything other than the default of 12 hours??

Do you have any Run once commands set up??

I really doubt it has anything to do with it, but get rid of the heat command "off".. It just seems odd.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
All egg timers are set to default (12hrs, 0 mins), there are no run once programs, i removed the heat command "off". Pump still will not come on, even though the stop / start LED lights up.
Is there anything on the pump I need to change?
Any ideas on next steps?

Jeff,

I don't see any reason it is not running.. :scratch:

Here is what I would do...

Remove both schedules..

Push the reset button on the main panel.. This will remove not erase anything, it is just like rebooting your PC. Then I would add just one schedule.. Pool at 9 am until 9 pm..

Then just wait until tomorrow and see if it resets itself..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. Tried your suggestions but still not working. I’ll try a factory reset on the pump tonight. Tough to know what else to try - heater, booster pump and lights are all dumb (relay switch only) so I don’t know if the communication side of the East Touch is working, although pump LED does light when the pump is meant to come on (and the pump does prime).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pump Address
Use this setting if your pump is connected via the RS-485 COM port to a Pentair automation system.

The default pump address is #1 and only needs to be changed when there is more than one pump on an automation system.

Change the address to allow the
automation system to send a command to the correct pump. The pump address can be set from 1-16.

Refer to the automation system manual for further details on how to connect and use an automation system with your variable speed pump.
1. Be sure the green power LED is on and the pump is stopped.
2. Press Menu.
3. Press Select to select “Settings”.
4. Use the Up or Down arrows to scroll to “Device”.
Press Select.
5. Use the Up or Down arrows to scroll to “Pump Address”. Press Select.
6. Press Up or Down arrows to change the address number from 1-16.
7. Press Save to save. To cancel any changes, press Back to exit without saving.
8. Press Back to exit.

Check the pump address.

Did you only use the green and yellow communication wires?

Do not use the red and black wires.

It is the Sta-Rite 013004 Intelliflo VSF pump. But you gave me an idea - I will see if it works if I assign it as VS pump in the Easy Touch. By the way I actually have the Pentair 521107 comPool to Easy Touch upgrade as the controller - don’t know if that makes a difference. I notice the description for this unit says it is compatible with VS or VF Intelliflo pumps, but does not mention VSF, although the software on the Easy Touch gives me that as a pump type option.

Jeff,

Sounds like a plan to me..

When you set up the pump as VSF, did you do it via ScreenLogic, or via the little 3" LCD??

I ask this because ScreenLogic will allow you to enter a million programs, but the EasyTouch can only use 12 of them.. So maybe, ScreenLogic will allow you to enter VSF while the EasyTouch upgrade will only allow you to use VS???

Give it a shot and see what happens,

Jim R.

wanted to address your compool upgrade question... it should work just like a regular Easytouch - it's all the same hardware, just laid out differently to fit the compool panel.

I don't want to distract from Jim's latest suggestions, but I was reading the firmware release notes and see that Intelliflo VSF+SVRS pump support was added in 2.090, but I saw this note for 2.150:
- Added support for New IntelliFLo II VSF and Alarm tables
What is an Intelliflo II VSF (vs an Intelliflo VSF)?? You've actually got an Intelli-PRO not an Intelli-FLO, but it's still supposed to be compatible with easytouch.

Tom,

I would think that the F/W in the upgrade kit the OP has, would only be as current as what was available at the time the upgrade kit was purchased.. :scratch:

Anyway, so far have been batting 0 for 100, so I am hoping for a miracle... :mrgreen:

Jim R.

Sta-Rite 013004 is an IntelliPro pump not IntelliFlo. See if you have a selection for IntelliPro. They may use different protocols.

Pump Address
Use this setting if your pump is connected via the RS-485 COM port to a Pentair automation system.

The default pump address is #1 and only needs to be changed when there is more than one pump on an automation system.

automation system to send a command to the correct pump. The pump address can be set from 1-16.

Refer to the automation system manual for further details on how to connect and use an automation system with your variable speed pump.
2. Press Menu.
Press Select.
7. Press Save to save. To cancel any changes, press Back to exit without saving.
8. Press Back to exit.

Check the pump address.

Pump Address

2. Press Menu.
Press Select.
8. Press Back to exit.

Check the pump address.

Thanks - pump address was set to default (1). Communications cable only has yellow and green wires which are wired to the yellow and green ports on the J20 motherboard connector.

Thanks - pump address was set to default (1). Communications cable only has yellow and green wires which are wired to the yellow and green ports on the J20 motherboard connector.
Sta-Rite 013004 is an IntelliPro pump not IntelliFlo. See if you have a selection for IntelliPro. They may use different protocols.
According to the Pentair website the Intellipro VSF pump is
According to the Pentair website “The IntelliPro VSF pump works seamlessly with EasyTouch® or IntelliTouch® Automation Systems with ScreenLogic2® Interface”.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.