East Dallas New Construction Help

Nov 22, 2014
Dallas Texas
Hello all. I need some help/advice. We live in east Dallas in a historic district called Swiss Avenue. Since there are alot of Dallas pools here some may be aware of the area. We have a large lot and have been contemplating putting a pool in for some time. However, the estimates we have been getting are killing me. I don't mind paying for quality, but I'm concerned we are getting taken for a ride just because of where we live. So, I thought I would toss out what is being proposed and see if others have any comments or suggests.
One reason that we are told the estimate is so high is because of the soil in our area. Heavy clay and we are 36 feet to bedrock. So with that introduction, here is what is being proposed:

910 square foot surface area rectangular pool. Depth to 5 feet. Rectangular in shape with spa on corner.
1/2" rebar ocew and a 4 bar bean
Gunite Shell to a minimum of 4000 psi
8 returns in pool, cleaner line, sewer reroute. 3", 2 1/2", 2", and 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC
Coping budget of $12/foot and waterline tile budget of $5/foot
4 500W pool lights
intelliflow primary pump
pentair filter
waterlevel control
easytouch controller
skimmer
jandy valves
pebbletech
intellichlor generator
Heat Pump
SPA
40 square ft, 3foot depth
1 100W light
400,000BTU gas heater, 2hp blower, shared pump with pool
2250 square feet of broom finish color concrete deck 4" slab on grade

Total quote price is $186,000.

We've got two quotes and the 2nd comes in within 10k of this price. Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Wow:eek:

That's a good sized pool and deck, but wow. Just a pool and spa? No LED lights? They make mention of the soil but where in the costs does that come into play? Piers? Soil injection?

We had our done for less than that with a lot of retaining walls, rock work, and a large waterfall/slide/grotto.

That's strange. So they said its that high because of the soil, but their bid doesn't include anything that would help with the poor soil conditions? So it's safe to say you can add another 10-15k for piers on top of that? Sheesh.

I don't know. That does seem awfully pricey for just a pool and spa. Make sure you really look around. I had a bid from a builder in Rockwall (Custom Outdoor Trends) for a freeform pool with a slide/waterfall it was around $85k (albeit smaller than yours), but that also included a small arbor. I've seen this guys pools before and he does good work and a really nice guy.

Definitely don't give up and continue to get bids I would say.

Wow! I have the same clay but I have a sunken above ground. I used to drive past your area for work. I would get a couple more quotes. I have a hard time believing they need piers. Texas has alot of clay and I have several neighbors who have in ground pools with no piers. I would get additional quotes. I would go so far as to have an engineer come out and look at the soil and the quotes if you get more than one telling you piers are needed. 186k is more than i paid for my house. No way I would pay that for a pool.

It looks high to me. I'm in the northeast where it appears costs tend to be higher to build a quality pool. Our project is very similar in spec and quotes ranged from 120 - 160 with roughly same sq footage of natural stone or pavers instead of concrete for the deck.

Wow! 186K sounds way crazy to me. Even with poor soil, and we have it to where I am too, Ive never seen a pool on flat ground with piers going to bedrock. Now if you are on a steep slope, .... that might be different.

Keep getting quotes...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That seems crazy expensive. Our pool with spa included was 600 sqft. Decking was 635 sqft. We have a huge waterfall that was included and if I remember correctly was somewhere around 10K of our price. We also had helical piers included because of our poor soil conditions. We also built a shade arbor that is 10x20 and cost somewhere around $5-7K. All in, we were well over $100K less than what you are getting quoted. When you factor out the waterfall and arbor and figure in that our build included piers, something does not add up about your quotes. Who have you gotten bids from?

Yes, the soils in Dallas are notoriously bad. Lots of movement and shifting and has gotten lots worse in the drought.

Give John a call @ Southernwind Pools. If you are wanting a pool that size, you are going to want to ensure it is engineered and built properly. That being said, I would never consider a pool of that size and price without a shotcrete shell.

Check out Southernwind's website. They are a boutique builder - you will be able to see they build a very very different pool then your run of the mill builder in this area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.