Easement and pool design help

tnlynch81

May 22, 2019
Dallas, TX
First off thank you so much to all those who contribute so much great info to this board. We are looking at building our first pool but have an easement issue that I'm hoping someone can give us some insight on. We live on a golf course and have a great view. The only problem is we have a 15' Erosion hazard setback easement in our backyard. This easement takes up nearly half of the backyard. My questions are if anyone here has dealt with a similar easement and if so did you attempt to get a variance so you could build into it. If we can't get a variance do the specs seem like it will be too small? The specs at the widest and longest points will be 13'x21' with a 7'x7' spa. Depth will be 3'5" to 5' Any info regarding the easement, and thoughts on design and the quote for materials etc. would be much appreciated. I have attached the design, as well as measurements and the PB quote.

Attachments

• lynchpool4.pdf
    175.9 KB · Views: 31
  • lynchpool1.JPG
    lynchpool1.JPG
    520 KB · Views: 57
  • lynchpool2.JPG
    lynchpool2.JPG
    528.3 KB · Views: 55
  • lynchpool3.JPG
    lynchpool3.JPG
    605.2 KB · Views: 52
  • lynchpoolspecs.pdf
    246.9 KB · Views: 17
  • lynchpoolsurvey.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 9
In that easement area, would you be allowed to install some type of pavers? If so, I would consider lowering the pool level and having a pool paver deck on the other side in the easement area.

In that easement area, would you be allowed to install some type of pavers? If so, I would consider lowering the pool level and having a pool paver deck on the other side in the easement area.
I would think we would have to add them after the final inspection. That would definitely be part of the plan. Really would like a bigger pool if possible. Just not sure if it's a fight I can win.

Don't want to sound like a negative Nancy but municipalities rarely give easement variances for projects like this and if you build the pool anyway, it can be a nightmare when you come to sell the house.
Not a negative Nancy.... a realist. I was just reaching out to see if people had experiences with getting variances, and any tips they may have. Thanks!

@[B]tnlynch81[/B] What did you end up doing? I am in the same situation but maybe worse as I have a 20ft drainage easement on one side and 12ft on other. I tried the variance option and it does not look like they will allow. Its a drainage easement, pipes in the 12ft and nothing in the 20 but they feel it affects the water from several homes. That is after we paid for the application (500) and sketch (300). My husband is an engineer and he is telling they are not going to give it to us. So now we are trying to see if we can squeeze it into the small side yard we have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.