During lockdown how can I use pucks to supplement bleach?

Skenn81

Apr 23, 2018
Florida
I have ten gallons of bleach ready to go and bought an 8 pound jug of pucks as I am unsure if we will be allowed to go to the pool store when lockdown is implemented.

I have only ever used liquid CL, how many pucks should I use to help supplement the liquids? It's a 15,000 gal in ground pool. With the warm Florida weather coming up I could have the cya be raised a bit since it burns itself off every season anyway, but I don't want to go overboard.

I am hoping home depot stays open but bleach is getting hard to find it seems.
Will see what the experts say but I have used them in my skimmer basket before.
Other option is if you can get a floater from home depot of walmart use it.

What brand is the pucks? Post a pic of the label.

1 puck - 8 oz. of trichlor - will raise your 15,000 gallons by 3.7 FC, raise CYA by 2.2, lower pH by 0.2, and raise salt by 2 ppm.

Will see what the experts say but I have used them in my skimmer basket before.

Putting pucks in your skimmer basket is not a problem if you run your pump 24/7.

The problem occurs when your pump is off and the puck continues to dissolve creating very acidic water in your skimmer. When you pump turn on you have a slug of acidic low pH water flow through your equipment. Over time it can damage equipment, especially a heater if you have one.

Reactions: markayash
What brand is the pucks? Post a pic of the label.

1 puck - 8 oz. of trichlor - will raise your 15,000 gallons by 3.7 FC, raise CYA by 2.2, lower pH by 0.2, and raise salt by 2 ppm.

Here is what I purchased:
sDiOggY.jpg

When using pucks, I do have a floater, do I just put 1 in and adjust the opening part? Should it be fully open or only partially? Going to check my stabilizer level today to see where we are starting from, but I expect it to be somewhere between 30 and 40.

You would open it enough to keep your FC in line. Just some experimentation will get you set. And the setting will change as the sun angle increases.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.