Looking for a new pool in Toronto Canada for 2021 season - advice needed

johnkim2020

Aug 2, 2020
Canada
Hi all,

I'm a newbie looking to install a pool in Toronto area and have few questions to those of you who are experienced:

1. Any preference for concrete vs fiberglass in cold weather in Canada? I personally prefer fiberglass because of its low maintenance quality.
2. What is the approximate cost for a basic install of a 35'x15' fiberglass pool in GTA area?
3. I also want to put in a 600 sqft pool house and a 20x20 pavillion outdoor kitchen & sitting area. This will get expensive. Should I do it at one go while installing the pool or install later?
4. Is it advisable to hire different contractor to do hardscaping and pool house and just let the pool company do this pool install and hookup?
5. Any recommendation of reputable pool installers?

Mod note-I combined several posts into one thread to keep the pool build story all in one place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I built myself a dancing water fountain few years ago. I will be building a pool and want to install similar system to my pool.

I want to install some dry land water fountain next to the pool. I'm curious to know if any of you've done something similar and best approach?

Each fountain is individually controlled with a separate pump.

From my understanding, there are hidden water reservoir underneath but I'm not sure what is the best way to connect that back to the main pool.

dry-land-fountain.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Snoobug
Welcome to TFP !! Please make a build thread in the 'under construction' sub-forum when its time. I and many others will get fat watching it while eating popcorn !!

Reactions: johnkim2020
If you're considering using pool water to spray onto your deck and then somehow route that same water back into your pool, then I would say that's going to be problematic. You'll be washing dirt and who knows what into your pool. But if you use pool water that sprays back into your pool without touching the deck, dancing and lit up, then that could be very cool.

If you're determined to have this water dancing over your concrete deck, you might be better off making it a closed system and leaving the pool out of it.

Reactions: BowserB
They make fixtures that mount in your deck and spray arches of water into your pool (can't think of what they're called). They're usually connected to each other, and then to a single pump. But I don't see why they can't be routed to individual pumps. I believe there are lighted versions, though not sure if those lights are multi-colored and programmable. If not, you could probably fabricate something for that effect.

Lots of your questions are specific to your location.

Pool builders may be good at building pools. Hardscaping or building pool houses are often better done by other companies. A pool company often just adds their markup and subcontracts non-pool building tasks.

These may be helpful...

If you're considering using pool water to spray onto your deck and then somehow route that same water back into your pool, then I would say that's going to be problematic. You'll be washing dirt and who knows what into your pool. But if you use pool water that sprays back into your pool without touching the deck, dancing and lit up, then that could be very cool.

If you're determined to have this water dancing over your concrete deck, you might be better off making it a closed system and leaving the pool out of it.

Thanks. That's a good point of putting dirty water back to pool.

What about have a closed basin system but using pool water to replenish the fountain basin? This basin also has its own water filtration system.

Also install a channel drain between fountain deck and pool to catch any water.

The only fountain water entering the pool system will be the splash over which should be minimum.

The laminar jet is nice as well like the one you posted. I also plan to incorporate this into my future pool:

Reactions: Oly
Hi,

I built myself a dancing water fountain few years ago. I will be building a pool and want to install similar system to my pool.

I want to install some dry land water fountain next to the pool. I'm curious to know if any of you've done something similar and best approach?

Each fountain is individually controlled with a separate pump.

From my understanding, there are hidden water reservoir underneath but I'm not sure what is the best way to connect that back to the main pool.

View attachment 156460
I was involved in the installation of one of those fountains a few years ago before I retired. There is an underground reservoir and a complicated system of pipes. There is only one pump but each fountain head is controlled by a computer system so different displays can be programmed. It also required a chlorine gas injection system just like a public swimming pool. I agree that it would be best for it to be self contained and not connected to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is my current fountain. I really like it and if I'm going to spend all these money building a pool, might as well add it.

Imagine swimming with your favorite music synchronize with the fountain?

That is really cool. Have you thought about maybe building something like that into a tanning ledge/baja shelf? That was it would be a part of the pool that could be functional when you are not using the fountains and it would still be part of the pool water system

Reactions: GDN
I think incorporating it into the pool somehow is the way to go. I was just saying not to involve the surrounding deck. In a baja shelf (great idea!), or as laminars or in a fountain structure (or all three!), whatever. That way you wouldn't have to have a separate body of water with its own filtration/chlorination system. And if kids are involved, I'm sure they'd love to play in the pool under the spray.

Maybe something like this?
View attachment 156539

Thanks. That's a good idea. My plan is to have a 35' x 15' rectangular pool.
That is really cool. Have you thought about maybe building something like that into a tanning ledge/baja shelf? That was it would be a part of the pool that could be functional when you are not using the fountains and it would still be part of the pool water system

Thanks. Ledge is a great idea. My plan is to have a ledge in the center, 3 fountain nozzle inside the ledge, and flanked by two fire pit. Around the ledge, I will have a row of the fountain.

download (1).jpg
Technically, I can build a super long ledge along the pool length (35') but that'll probably look ugly and limit the entrance of the pool from that side.

I drew a diagram of an idea i have. The pool is 35x15' + coping. I have a ledge in the middle for more fountain/waterfall/firepit. On each side, I have 6 inground water jet.

The deck slopes away from pool and excessive water is collected in the green drain back to the underground fountain reservoir.

The fountain has its own reservoir, sand filter, UV light disinfectant, and chlorine generator.

poolidea2.PNG

Hi,

I live in an old bungalow that I intended to demolish and rebuild in 10 years.

In the mean time, I want to get a pool and not have to wait 10 years to swim.

One of the most important criteria is to able to keep my new (to-be-built) pool and associated hardscaping and re-use it once the old house is demolished and rebuilt.

My land is 1/4 acre so decent size to play with.

Any idea how far setback I should build my pool from future building footprint?

I think we need many more details about the new house plans to comment. What type of house foundation would need to be dug?

I suggest you talk with some house builders about your house plans and find out what space they need to build your new house design.

Hi,

I just put a deposit down for the Ultimate 35' and looking into automatic pool cover.

I have few concerns
1. What is the typical cost in 2020 for a coverstar?
2. My pool guy said I can't put coping stone on the hot tub area because it will obstruct the cover which makes sense. Any other solution? What if I just don't close the cover the entire length and keep the hot tub and shallow tanning ledge open? Is this a stupid idea? Any risk of drowning from the shallow and hot tub.
maxresdefault.jpg

3. Can you have water feature like this :

tanningledgewaterfall.jpg

Pool light is like several hundred dollar each.

I'm familiar with underwater LED etc and they cost $50.

Can someone tell me why pool light are so expensive and can I just buy my own light and get the pool guy to install them?

A partially opened cover is a hazard. Don't even consider that option.

I have a level spa and the dam between the pool & spa is covered with nice smooth tile, not coping. The flat top of the dam has the same tiles as the pool waterline, and the dam edges are covered with matching smooth quarter-round tiles. These don't cause significant extra wear on my auto-cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.