Dry chemicals: pounds to cups- any conversion resources

RalphD12

Silver Supporter
Apr 27, 2020
Columbus OH
Hi there. The dry chemicals I use are common for most: baking soda, CYA/stabilizer, and a ph up, and ph down. Pool Math app makes addition recommendations based on pounds, but I’m looking to measure in cups. Anyone know of a good resource to do this conversion- I’m sure it’s a little different for all 4 as they have different mass.

DiverGirl1972

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 11, 2018
Delta, PA
I don't use the app, but the web version of pool math offers recommendations in both weight and volume measurements, which is nice. Maybe you can use that to make your conversions until such time as the app is updated! PoolMath Forgot to add: Divide the ounces needed in volume and divide by 8 and that's the number of cups you need.

Last edited:

Puertex

Bronze Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Pearland, Texas
Hi there. The dry chemicals I use are common for most: baking soda, CYA/stabilizer, and a ph up, and ph down. Pool Math app makes addition recommendations based on pounds, but I’m looking to measure in cups. Anyone know of a good resource to do this conversion- I’m sure it’s a little different for all 4 as they have different mass.
Hello,

First and very important please use Personal Protective Equipment when handling these chemicals.
Many a time even the fumes of pouring bleach or Muriatic Acid into the pool will mess up my eyes for a day.
Consider using goggles, N95 mask when handling powders and rubber gloves when using these chemicals.

OK, to your question:
Pounds is a weight measurement and cups is a volumetric measurement. Unfortunately, the measurements do not interchange.
There are 16 ounces to a pound when measuring dry powders. I purchased a cheap kitchen scale that measures up to a couple of pounds with ounce markers.
There is 8 liquid ounces to a cup. I have purchased cheap marked containers at Home Depot to help me measure liquid ounces.

I hope the above helps.

Puertex