Driving on concrete??

May 14, 2017
Ohio
Are there any pool builders or someone experienced with concrete here? We are wanting to add a sunroom to the back of our house, however only way to get to area is for equipment (mini backhoe) to drive on concrete around pool. Or come in other side which is septic. Pool is 25 years old, will the equipment damage concrete or pool lines under concrete? See photos...(septic is between house and pool house- want sunroom where picnic table is) IMG_2933.jpg

Personally I would lay down sheets to plywood over the septic bed and go that way. The wood should spread out the load enough to not compress the ground much. The good thing about track machines is it spreads out the load. Look online and you might be able to get the psi of pressure exerted by the machine of choice.

Rock and hard place for sure! What is the backhoe for? Is there ANY way it can be done by hand?

I would NOT allow it to drive on the concrete and would worry about it on the septic as we were told to not even drive our pick up truck over it if at all possible.

Hold on while I ping a couple of people to ask them to chime in. It might be a few before they here the call.

Kim:kim:

Personally I would lay down sheets to plywood over the septic bed and go that way. The wood should spread out the load enough to not compress the ground much. The good thing about track machines is it spreads out the load. Look online and you might be able to get the psi of pressure exerted by the machine of choice.
agree done it that way, going over concrete deck is really risky no way to know what condition sub soil is in and yes Kim it can be done by hand LOOK at the pyramids J/K .

I think you mean mini excavator. A backhoe has wheels, excavator has tracks. Believe it or not, a tracked machine has very low ground pressure. Maybe only 6 or 7 pounds per sq inch vs any wheeled vehicle that has many times that. Still, we have no way of knowing the load bearing capacity of your concrete as we have no idea of the base condition. I would say you have a very low chance of damaging any pipes under the concrete. The chances of cracking the concrete are much higher. Septic bed is where I would go. I would time it for the dry season. If they are using a skid steer as well, insist on a tracked machine.
Your pool looks amazing for its age.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.