Drip leak where pump output goes into filter

Ampsonic

May 13, 2018
Henderson, NV
I have a leak that’s about 1 drop per second right where the pipe from the pump connect to my filter. I’ve not worked with plumbing before, is this a DIY repair or should I call someone? If call, do you recommend calling pool repair or a plumber?

4A0B50ED-1644-4732-8717-23D5727561F8.jpeg

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Hand tight only....if you put a wrench on it, you may easily crack it. I use plain old pipe dope from Lowes, but I hear others talk about Magic Lube.......I have never used it.

Reactions: Newdude

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
Mostly hand tight and maybe a little bit more. Don't overdo it
Yes !! It took me 5 years of reassembling my equipment each spring to realize that my ‘hand right’ was equal to the PB’s ‘hand tight plus 1/8th turn’. I made many drips that needed redoing in the meantime. Once I stopped overthinking it I was fine. A little under is fine and if it drips you can tighten it just a hair more. If you go too far it will start dripping more as you tighten too much. If you put it together and it doesn’t drip, walk away slowly. :)

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
Also, my eyes see the pic as leaking from the filter housing itself and not the union. It may not be the union causing the drip.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
r0465600.jpg

This part screws into the filter. The leak is probably at the O-ring.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.