Drilling holes into Metal top rails? Please share your thoughts

67mike

Jul 14, 2015
Canada
Hi All:

Finally installed and got our new 21 foot AGP up and running.......quite a project and learning experience.

We bought a really awesome security ladder that has a lockable roll-up safety sheild,,,,,,,which is great BUT....they want me to drill 2 holes into the top rails (metal) to secure the ladder to the pool (it is a bit wobbly if you aren't careful......so I can see the need.

Also I have not used our solar cover yet because the roller kit I bought wants me to again.....drill holes into the top rail to mount it.

I am trying to figure out a different way to do the roller mount using 4x4 treated lumber as posts outside the pool.....but that has a few questions as well.....I really dont want to dig too close to pool as it will weaken my compacted crusher fine base, etc....

Please help with your advice and experiences. MAny thanks.

PS: what are you using for ant deterrent around the pool????

CT-Steven

May 26, 2020
CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I used 4x4 posts at the corners of my pool for the solar cover. I use this:

For the ladder I used a 2 hole conduit strap on the outside. I am not sure what the feet of your ladder are like. The feet in the pool lift a little but not terrible.

Reactions: 67mike

67mike

Jul 14, 2015
Canada
I used 4x4 posts at the corners of my pool for the solar cover. I use this:

For the ladder I used a 2 hole conduit strap on the outside. I am not sure what the feet of your ladder are like. The feet in the pool lift a little but not terrible.
Thanks for the great tips

67mike

Jul 14, 2015
Canada
It is looking like I might have to drill the holes for the ladder through the top rail.

Any tips/advice please???????

Pv2

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2013
south east Arizona
It is looking like I might have to drill the holes for the ladder through the top rail.

Any tips/advice please???????
it should be fine. long ago I had a cheapest version of a Sears pool (good, better, best! mine was the good) and that is how the ladder attached, it never hurt anything. this is a walled pool, right? not a soft side on frames intex type?

67mike

Jul 14, 2015
Canada
it should be fine. long ago I had a cheapest version of a Sears pool (good, better, best! mine was the good) and that is how the ladder attached, it never hurt anything. this is a walled pool, right? not a soft side on frames intex type?
Yes it is a good quality walled AGP.....Metal top rails.....guess I could use clear nail polish to protect the metal in drilled spots?

Pv2

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2013
south east Arizona
maybe a dab of silicon sealer or something a little flexible since there is a little movement. if you do see rust (anywhere) hit with rust converter

revitup

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Nov 30, 2019
Pawleys Island, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
PS: what are you using for ant deterrent around the pool????
Suspend, works great. Leaves a residual barrier. May or may not be available for non-professional use in your state.

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Go ahead with cutting into top rail, but coat the compromised area with rust inhibitor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.