cmb12355

Apr 16, 2021
Southern MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So yesterday I bought the K- 2006 testing kit because I want to learn about bleach and saving some money. But along with that I have been battling yellow algae since last yr. So while at the pool store emptying my wallet yesterday my readings were:
Ph 7.6
Fc 7.4
Total chlorine 9.2
Alkalinity 130
Calcium hardness 204
Cya 79
Optimizer 14
Phosphate 2288
Tds 500
So they said I have plenty of chlorine but its all locked up due to high metal content; I fill from a well.
So per their advice I added 2.25 bottles of pool magnet plus and 18 Oz of pool juice zero to lower phosphates and lock up metals which she said with the high phosphates I am just feeding the algae. She also said once the metals and phosphates are under control to return, test, and then start fighting the algae. She also said the new test kit I purchased will not test for phosphates or either metals or tds I can't remember which.

Any tips? My pool is 11000 gal. Vinyl

Welcome to the forum!
Please post a full set of test results from your own kit.
Metals do not 'lock up chlorine'. Phosphates and TDS are meaningless items.
Read SLAM Process
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Haha thanks! I know I am pretty clueless. I read slam once and will have to reread. And thanks for the welcome!

Haha thanks! I know I am pretty clueless. I read slam once and will have to reread. And thanks for the welcome!
So was going to test with new test kit today even tho only 35 degrees here, not sure if that matters? Also started reading book which came with test kit and looking over reagents and discovered many of the bottles are either expiring this month, next month or are already expired. So I need to return kit and hope they have another, new reagents or something for me. Question is how long can I wait to get water test? It is supposed to warm up later in week and I have to go out of town to get new kit.

Only test effected by cold water is the CYA test. Let the water sample warm to ~70F for that test.

If your water is still 35F, you have a while to wait -------

Only test effected by cold water is the CYA test. Let the water sample warm to ~70F for that test.

If your water is still 35F, you have a while to wait -------
Thanks very much!
I prefer the TF-100 test kit (original or TF-100plus). It is always fresh because the Mom & Pop business that makes it keeps up on that sort of thing.
Return that old kit you bought and get the better buy- www.tftestkits.net

Maddie :flower:
Thanks so much!

So I tested with my kit today, still the K2006 but with unexpired reagents.
Here is what I got and this is after having it retested at pool store when I went to get fresh reagent. They had me add to bags of Banish and 20 ozs of algaecide .

Cya 46
Fc 12
Cc 0
Ph 7.2
Ta 190
Ch 600
Thanks in advance for any advice.

So, your CYA is 50. SLAM level FC is 20ppm,.

Banish - only thing I find on the internet is liquid. Copper Algaecide. What was the other stuff? Neither will do anything but add copper to your water or eat up a bunch of chlorine.

Follow the SLAM Process

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, your CYA is 50. SLAM level FC is 20ppm,.

Banish - only thing I find on the internet is liquid. Copper Algaecide. What was the other stuff? Neither will do anything but add copper to your water or eat up a bunch of chlorine.

Follow the SLAM Process
Also I'm confused by the chart for cya and fc target. If my target is fc 6 to 8 but I'm at 12 now?

Your CH is all ready as high as you want it. So I would not suggest any cal hypo.
The TA and CH are if no concern to SLAM

Reactions: cmb12355
So as of now my pool is super cloudy. I brought it up to slam level x2 but between the MN cold and Dr. Appts for a pending surgery I only got it brushed x2. Now I've had rotator cuff repair and am one armed for 6 weeks at least. I did manage to test today here is what I got:
FC - 9
CC -0
CH - 300 I probably should've tested CYA but did not. I did backwash the filter after running it day and night for 4 days. But the water is still very cloudy. I can't see if algae is there or not. I changed the sand in filter last yr and the pressure is ok about 120 with a good hard flow going back from the return.

My question is do I buy some filter cleaner and run through it?

So as of now my pool is super cloudy. I brought it up to slam level x2 but between the MN cold and Dr. Appts for a pending surgery I only got it brushed x2. Now I've had rotator cuff repair and am one armed for 6 weeks at least. I did manage to test today here is what I got:
FC - 9
CC -0
CH - 300 I probably should've tested CYA but did not. I did backwash the filter after running it day and night for 4 days. But the water is still very cloudy. I can't see if algae is there or not. I changed the sand in filter last yr and the pressure is ok about 120 with a good hard flow going back from the return.

My question is do I buy some filter cleaner and run through it? Or back wash again? It's frustrating because as far as the slam now I cannot brush it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.