Draining Water Question

Aug 19, 2015
Florence, AZ
I'm going to drain my pool this weekend, jumped in it tonight and it feels chalky to me, I had a high calcium level last year so I assume this is the cause, all my levels had been fine throughout the winter and until now.

I have an in-floor cleaning system and when running the pump these would be working while the pool is being drained would this be a problem when draining the pool via the pump?

What are you testing your water with? Please post up with full set of test results and let's see. I highly doubt that calcium can cause a chalky feeling.

Are you able to isolate the suction to just the floor? If not you really can't use the pool pump to drain the pool. If you can then no water would be going into the in floor system anyways because it be pumped out to waste. Although generally you're better off just renting a submersible pump.

What are you testing your water with? Please post up with full set of test results and let's see. I highly doubt that calcium can cause a chalky feeling.

I use the test kit that I purchased from this site... I'll do a full test tonight and post the results here.

Are you able to isolate the suction to just the floor? If not you really can't use the pool pump to drain the pool. If you can then no water would be going into the in floor system anyways because it be pumped out to waste. Although generally you're better off just renting a submersible pump.

Yeah, the suction is no problem, I can get all the suction from floor drain rather than the skimmer.

My question was if it's bad to use the pool pump with the in-floor cleaning system. Once the water line drops below the pop-ups on the stairs and shallow end, the jetted water (from pop-ups) will be spraying into "thin air" rather than a pool filled with water.

If the pump is sending the water out the filter drain or wherever, there shouldn't be enough water or pressure to pop the popups up. And if it does, so what? They'll keep the walls damp. It it makes a huge mess, set a bucket or a brick on the offending popup.

jblizzle, there's the test results above, what's your thoughts??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.