Draining pool today, am I doing the right thing?

creede

Jun 22, 2017
Austin, TX
Hi TFP team. As with many people I come here hat in hand having been a poor pool owner for the last 3 years. I actually found this forum when I first got the pool, and found it to be incredibly helpful. Sadly I didn't take the time to really learn the TFP way. Because of that I've been using tabs to chlorinate my pool for the last 3 years. Last season I did notice that my chlorine levels needed to be quite high to be effective (greater than 5) but my local pool store didn't seem stressed so I kept going. This spring my chlorine levels were off the charts (great than 10 on my little taylor kit) and I finally decided to get serious. I ordered a test kit (Taylor K-2006 from Amazon) and found that my CYA levels were off the charts. I had to dilute 4 times to get a reading of 100, so I'm assuming I need to drain 3/4 of my pool water. On top of that I had recently had some issues with my PH which resulted in a high TA, and perhaps because of that a high CH.

The numbers:

CYA: 400
CH: 900
PH: 7.2
TA: 200

We're expecting a week of raining weather here in Austin, so I figured now was as good a time as any to drain the pool. I intend to convert to SWG this summer so I figure about 3/4 of the water needs to go. It's currently raining, and I'm currently pumping out as quick as I can. Any advice or encouragement appreciated.

Side note, during this whole COVID thing, what's the easiest way to buy liquid chlorine? Amazon? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
I assume you know of the risks of draining a pool. Get it done quick and refill. I would suggest you drain most of it. With those types of test results, best to start pretty fresh.
Best place for liquid chlorine is Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, etc.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to TFP.

Get your CYA done to the 50-60 range if you don't plan on putting in a SWG now. That is a 85% drain.

What is your pH, TA, CH of the fill water you will be using?

How did you get 900 ppm CH in your pool water with that fill water?! I wonder if your fill water changes in composition during the year.

Is that natural fill water or through a home water conditioner?

OK, I managed to get it mostly drained and refilled in the last 24 hours. The bad news is only after doing so did I realize I was doing the CYA wrong. I had a value over 100 and so I was diluting by half with pool water and rechecking. I realized my error after it was filled this morning. Doing it the correct way post refill I got a CYA of 100. Crazy to think it must have been 500+ before the draining. I did take a sample to the pool store to double check and they gave a CYA of 90.

Current readings are:

PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 290
CYA 90

Phosphates 300.

I also subscribed to the pro version of the pool math app. Super handy, thanks to whoever spearheaded that. I also have 8 lbs of Calcium Chloride on the way to get my CH up.

I also picked up 4 gallons of blue whale brand liquid shock from Leslies. I've been fooled by them before so I wanted to double check that this was the correct liquid chlorine to use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You do not need the calcium chloride. Cancel that order if possible.

Look at the bottles. Should say 10% or 12.5% sodium hypochlorite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.