Draining pool necessary when CYA is 120+

May 20, 2016
Port Charlotte, Fl
Is draining a pool necessary when the CYA is over 120? I had a pool service with a reputable company and they let it get up that high. I had another service tell me it had to be drained in order to bring it down. I want to be compensated by the old service company so I can pay the new service company. The chlorine was 10+ and the ph was 0. It’s a fiberglass finish pool. Thanks for your input, Donna

It would take a long time to let it "creep down" to a level that is more manageable. The odds of having the old service company compensate you are very, very slim. Since most of the companies use pucks, then over time all those pools will have high CYA and eventually reach "chlorine lock" where you have to drain. It's an industry practice and it's accepted by 90%+ of pool owners.

Unless the water is literally eating through your pool and plumbing then the pH is not zero. Where did you get that number?

And the previous company isn't going to compensate you for raising your CYA level. Guaranteed.

It would take a long time to let it "creep down" to a level that is more manageable. The odds of having the old service company compensate you are very, very slim. Since most of the companies use pucks, then over time all those pools will have high CYA and eventually reach "chlorine lock" where you have to drain. It's an industry practice and it's accepted by 90%+ of pool owners.
He drained half of it and you’re right, The old company is only going to compensate me for the chemicals used to get it right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.