Draining and re-filling a Phoenix area pool

pwcfan

Apr 24, 2017
Scottsdale/Az
I have been reviewing old threads related to this topic.
I'm new to the Phoenix area. My home has a 20,000gal Pebbletec/DE pool.
It has not been drained for over 7 years.
CYA is off the chart obviously. Using A LOT of liquid chlorine.
I cannot fine the sewer drain in front of my 1977 built home. Previous homeowners have buried it with desert landscape.
I did see some post about side hose/bathroom clear out drain. I ran a test with my garden hose, and no back ups, anywhere in the house. I stuft the hose into the hole, at full pressure, whatever that is, for prox 10 mins.
I was contemplating purchasing a sub pump, so I can drain every 2-3 years, instead of renting.
Any idea what kind of flow (gallons per hour) I can use using the bathroom clear out option ?
City of Phoenix website says it is illegal to drain to street......I am not HOA, but I do have nosey neighbors....
Any advise would help.
Tx Group !!!

PWCFAN, hi there :) Welcome to TFP!

My first thought is to ask you what type of filter do you have?? If it is a sand filter that allows you to backwash...where is that water going? It may be plumbed into a drain already if you don't know where it goes.

I use a small sump pump to drain my hot tub into my clean out point as its directly under a panel on my deck. Works great, but a pool is so much bigger and is going to take a lot longer using a smaller sump pump. You can rent larger pumps from HomeDepot for bigger jobs like this rather than a smaller sump pump. It would be worth it, IMO.

Have you considered doing multiple smaller drains and refills, using the water in your yard? Or is that unheard of out there in the hot desert?

One thing to be aware of in your hot area is that cooler months are the time to do this so that you can do it fast and refill fast, not letting the plaster get baked by the hot sun.

Maddie :flower:

thank you sir.

I do have a DE filter.

My backwashing goes into my backyard area, and stops........."feeds" my Oleanders....not plumed into the sewer system.

Most of my neighbors empty into the sewer cleanouts in the front of the home. I cannot find mine. Previous home owners have buried it under 4-6 inches of desert rock.

I do want to purchase a larger sub-pump, and keep for pool cleanings every 2-3 years here.

I guess my best bet would be to keep searching for my sewer cleanouts in the front yard.....no fun raking that much rock, but I gotta do what I gotta do. I want to get this done before 3-1-19....

Thank you for your reply !!!

PWCFAN, hi there :) Welcome to TFP!

My first thought is to ask you what type of filter do you have?? If it is a sand filter that allows you to backwash...where is that water going? It may be plumbed into a drain already if you don't know where it goes.

I use a small sump pump to drain my hot tub into my clean out point as its directly under a panel on my deck. Works great, but a pool is so much bigger and is going to take a lot longer using a smaller sump pump. You can rent larger pumps from HomeDepot for bigger jobs like this rather than a smaller sump pump. It would be worth it, IMO.

Have you considered doing multiple smaller drains and refills, using the water in your yard? Or is that unheard of out there in the hot desert?

One thing to be aware of in your hot area is that cooler months are the time to do this so that you can do it fast and refill fast, not letting the plaster get baked by the hot sun.

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

I would suggest finding your cleanout. First, if you ever have to snake your line to the main sewer, it would be nice to have it uncovered now rather than look for it in August. And it is the best place to run your sub pump outlet to.

You can get reasonably priced sub pumps at Harbor Freight or on Amazon. Normal 1/3 hp ones with a 50+ft hose used as your effluent line will remove ~7-10 gpm. The rental ones from Home Depot (4 hour rental about the cost of the 1/3 hp versions) will run at 30+ gpm with a large effluent hose (you will have to but that.)

Take care.

Thank you sir.........Kinda what my plan is i guess..............

I saw the other posts about "bathroom" cleanouts being used, but I assume the flow rate would be poor.

Back outside I go, although I will wait for our rain to stop.

Thank you all for the help and have a prosperous New Year !!!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

I would suggest finding your cleanout. First, if you ever have to snake your line to the main sewer, it would be nice to have it uncovered now rather than look for it in August. And it is the best place to run your sub pump outlet to.

You can get reasonably priced sub pumps at Harbor Freight or on Amazon. Normal 1/3 hp ones with a 50+ft hose used as your effluent line will remove ~7-10 gpm. The rental ones from Home Depot (4 hour rental about the cost of the 1/3 hp versions) will run at 30+ gpm with a large effluent hose (you will have to but that.)

Take care.

Thank you sir.........Kinda what my plan is i guess..............

I saw the other posts about "bathroom" cleanouts being used, but I assume the flow rate would be poor.

Back outside I go, although I will wait for our rain to stop.

Thank you all for the help and have a prosperous New Year !!!

Do you get water\sewer from the city? If so, ask them. I contacted my water company and they had a map of my street with the plumbing location and I was able to find both clean outs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.