Draining and calcium (2 birds situation)

kul

Bronze Supporter
Oct 1, 2021
Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi, with recent rains, I need to lower my pool water level so that it doesn’t reach coping. I’d like to use this opportunity to also lower my calcium since I deal with it rising all summer.

When draining, will the same amount of calcium be removed if I put the submersible pump on the first step versus if I drain from the bottom of the pool? Or does depth of where I’m draining from not matter?

Last edited:
When draining, will the same amount of calcium be removed if I put the submersible pump on the first step versus if I drain from the bottom of the pool?

Yes.

Or does depth of where I’m draining from not matter?

It does not matter as long as your pump is running and the water has not sit still and stratified.

This is for draining and not a water exchange.

Reactions: kul
Thank you. I am just draining not doing an exchange. It’s supposed to rain some more so trying to use that fill water to my advantage if possible. Even if it’s just minimal impact.

Reactions: aussieta
It does not matter as long as your pump is running and the water has not sit still and stratified.

That's the important bit. If your pump has been running and your water is well mixed, then it doesn't really matter. If your pump hasn't been running, then there is a chance that the rain water hasn't mixed in yet, and the top water layers contain less calcium. In this case there could be a benefit in draining from the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude and kul
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.