Draining a bad idea for partial inground stock tank?

BobStrauss

Apr 19, 2021
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
4CDFD165-F8B1-4E06-BA3A-69453B6CF6D6.jpeg
I’ve got a stock tank pool that is buried roughly a foot deep in my backyard in San Antonio, TX. Soon it will be too cold to use, and though I’d always figured on draining it at end of season, now I’m thinking that could be a bad idea. I’d hate to have it shift in the off-season if not weighted down.

Are there any less-intensive processes for maintaining a pool when “swimmability” is no longer an issue? Currently I use the TFP-100 kit to do daily tests, then adjust daily for chlorine as needed (my pH has been quite stable since mid summer and use of borates). Perhaps I could switch to those floating tabs? Do weekly tests/adjustments instead of daily?

Yup- keep it up as you do now. FC will last a longgggg time, not much changes but it looks easy to fix in your pool. Test the water every week or two. I keep my pool open year round,

Also, for next year.... have you considered a salt water chlorinator for that cute little pool? I have a Saftron myself for my hottub.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: BobStrauss
Thanks for the advice! So when it gets cooler, the FC should last longer, even with sun exposure?

I would love a salt water chlorinator, but I’ve been told that it’s a bad idea for galvanized stock tanks. If that’s incorrect, though, I’d be happy to make the switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.