Drained pool to start over with it

Toebog

Jun 15, 2019
phelps NY
I am new to this site had my pool for yrs dealing with the pool stores put this in put that in blah,blah well this year i found you guys and decided its time to change things. opened pool last weekend wasn't to bad little green got out my new k-2006 test kit ran tests found cya to be 100 so i thought ok if going to start over i need to lose all the pool store Crud in my pool also so I drained all but 3 inches of water and refilled using garden hose that took days but its full now ran all tests again here is what i got

FC 0
CC 0
PH 6.8
TA 50
CH 160
CYA 100 confused by that one

some other things the pool is green now had alot of sun past couple days and by the time it filled it turned green

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum:wave:

If you did not put any CYA in your pool, you don't have any. It's hard to interpret your post but you might be reading the test backwards. In a new fill CYA should be 0 and with the view tube full, looking down thru the top, you should still see the black dot.

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That is the basic starting point.

Next, you will need to begin the SLAM process. There is an article in Pool School and you must follow every step.

Ask lots of questions and we'll all help you get the pool crystal clear

no idea that's what i don't understand i drained the pool to get rid of it and all the pool store crud in my water now i don't know what else to do trying to keep the slam process going with CYA of 100 will be a task

With the test, if you fill the view tube to the top can you still see the dot? Or are you losing sight of the dot at the 100 fill line.

I find it hard to believe that with only 3” of the original pool water left that it had that much CYA still left in it when mixed with fresh water.

poolmath said to add 3 gallons of 6% bleach to get FC to 11 did that,and 6lbs of borax mule team 20 did that here are new numbers after an hour have not started to Slam yet trying to make sure i am reading the CYA right and I am pretty sure I am ......Pool is green BTW

FC 12
CC .5
PH 7.8
TA 100
CH 160
CYA 100

Ok if you are going to slam with a CYA of 100 your FC level will be 39. You want to start by adding enough muriatic acid to lower your PH to 7.2. Let it mix in with pump running for 15 minutes then test again. Once at 7.2 add enough liquid Chlorine/bleach to get to 39 FC. Keep your filter running, brush the bottom and sides as much as possible. Test the FC only as often as you can, every hour if possible, keeping adding Chlorine/bleach to keep your FC at 39. Use a 10 ml water sample, 1 scoop of the powder and divide the number of drops by .5 to get your FC If you have a removable ladder pull it out and check everywhere on it for Algae, it hides well in ladders.

Brush walls often, run a leaf rake or blind vacuum over the bottom tot try and get anything there out. You can also use 5ml sample and multiply by 1 (drops = FC) if you are bumping it that high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
this mornings readings added back in bleach. I can start to see bottom of pool going to brush walls and Floor today. So the FC is changing must have been a mis read on my part yesterday. here is the pic you wanted also

FC 30
CC .5

Attachments

• pool pic.jpg
    pool pic.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
so this mornings readings
FC 38.5
CC 0 to .5 had the slightest tint of pink

so my question is how long to slam pool this afternoon will be 3 days and the pool looks pretty clear this morning no visible alga anywhere. should i do an overnight test tonight or give the slam another day?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.