Drain Plug Upgrade

MegaMilez

Dec 13, 2019
TX
Hey all! I'm purchasing a vinyl pool and just read that it apparently has a very ineffective drain plug that isn't threaded. What I want to do is upgrade it to an open/grated drain with a 90 degree pipe/hose that extends out in the yard with a drain valve in the pipe/hose away from the pool. (Hopefully that makes sense). I'm thinking for the drain it needs to be a sandwich type to prevent leaks in the vinyl.

I searched here for a similar setup and am currently searching on amazon for products - but I'm nowhere near an expert when it comes to this stuff. Product suggestions would be highly appreciated!!

So far, I've put this together (from pool to end)

I think I would avoid that valve. Go to Inyo pools (online) and look at their valves. They may have something to fit the bill and/or upgrade what your manufacturer gives you. Look for something made of PVC and meant for pools.
Note that ball valves are much better than gate valves at not leaking, and look for something that is easily serviceable as well (you can take it apart to replace a seal).

Your local hardware store might have something you could put together as well.

Reactions: MegaMilez
I personally do not like those. You would probably be better off with what the manufacturer of the pool gives you. Those other fittings just aren’t meant for pools and are not serviceable. You don’t want your water to drain out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.