Drain My Pool Again!! 2nd Time in 6 Months!! URGGGGGGGG

cl5man2

Jun 13, 2019
southern az
So long story short, I was advised to drain my pool because of a 180 CYA level. Did so, and added the recommended amount of CYA to my new water. Either my pool builder lied to me about the size of my pool or the girl at Leslies didn't know what she was doing but now my new water is already at 80 CYA. I've had the pool for about 6 years, never really got serious about chemistry until I realized I let the chemicals get out of control in the first 5 years. I hate going to the pool store as they always wanna sell me something new and better and special. I stumbled on this site and realized that maybe theirs an easier way. For the first 6 months after draining the chlorine was always around 4PPM, thought that was good. Now that I've done my research I realize 4PPM isn't good with a CYA of 80. I'm starting to get some cloudiness and my chlorine levels are dropping rapidly. Id like to start using non-pool store supplies and start from scratch. I've listed my chemistry levels below. I'd really like to avoid draining the whole pool (maybe a half drain) and get an idea of where to buy the non commercial chemicals that i keep reading about on this site. I'm shooting for a CYA of around 40-50 I think? Southeast AZ with lots of sunshine here. The SLAM method i've been reading about says I'll need to add a ton of bleach!! Whats the formula for using bleach? Pool builder told me it was 18,000 gallons. It does have a built in hot tub with waterfall, Pebbletec construction and cartridge filters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FC usually 0-2 ( this is my main problem, even after a shock treatment its only 5-6 for a day or so)
CC I honestly don't do that test, I don't understand what it means
TA 140
PH 7.8
CYA 80

Hi, welcome to TFP!

Good decision on cutting ties with pool stores. You can easily maintain your pool with regular household products. The staple of your pool diet will be liquid chlorine, aka bleach.
You probably will need also muriatic acid to lower your pH, when needed. The most important thing in your toolbox however is recommended test kit, TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C.
What test gave you the results you posted? What's your CH?

Welcome to TFP.

First thing you need is a good test kit. Either the TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C. And get the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer to make testing easier and more accurate.

Please put details of your pool in your signature.

I am going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a lot of info so take itslow and ask lots of questions!
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

The recommenced pool chemicals-do NOT go out and buy all of them. They are for if you NEED them. You DO need chlorine and you DO need muriatic acid. Other than that you do buy anything else for now.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Psycho1122
You also might want to hold off on draining the pool again until you do some more research. Cya of 80 is high but not necessarily unmanageable - especially if you don’t currently have an algae problem. It does mean you need to keep the chlorine level higher than at lower cya.

Do some reading and figure out an approach that works. The people on this site are super helpful and will answer questions along the way!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.