Drain covers, Skimmer lid covers, in deck umbrella holders, etc

usfbull

Gold Supporter
May 11, 2020
Tampa FL
Surface
Plaster
Hi,

We are getting closer to breaking ground on our pool. Our pool finish will be hydrazzo and the deck will be travertine pavers.
I would appreciate feedback on the following, and any other similar items. I have discussed the umbrella holders with the PB and having them bonded but not the skimmer cover or drain covers yet.

We will have dual main drains.

Skimmer cover for the deck:

Umbrella holders in deck. These sit flush with the deck:

They also have a 2" adapter for high winds. I was thinking this could be useful since we get some bad storms in the summer.

If anyone has experience with these products or similar I would love to hear about your thoughts. Also, are there any similar types of items that would be good to think of during the building process that I should consider?

I was also considering HIDE covers but there are other builds on here where people were able to just use a travertine paver without the HIDE feature. I asked my PB for a quote on the HIDE covers but I haven't received it yet.
I haven't asked for a quote on the HIDE covers yet. Do you recall who had a build that just used travertine without the HIDE feature? I figured I would ask here to get some ideas and then ask the PB on these items. I know for the umbrella holders he told me to just order them and tell him where we want them placed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought skimmer covers and channel drain from Pouralid. They are very heavy plastic, and I anticipate they hold up quite well. Unfortunately, our build got pushed to spring or I’d post a picture.

Reactions: usfbull
Your lucky day. 50% off my 2¢, so for today only... 1¢!!

DRAINS

Drains are old school. More and more pools are being built without them. They are not necessary anymore. I had mine removed. Love it! No ugly drains to stare at. No interference with cleaners (vac or 'bots). No stubbing toes. And while dual drains are vastly safer than the original single drains of old, NO drains is the safest yet. Drains were primarily used to sweep gunk down to, where it would get sucked up. Vacs and 'bots make that a thing of the past. And drains provide little in the way of circulation. Pushing (returns) move water. Sucking does very little. It would be better for circulation to have deep water returns. No drains means that much less plumbing to fail, too. And drain plumbing is virtually impossible to repair.

That said, if ya gotta have a drain, I think this type is the best. Flush, and as invisible as they get:

image-asset.png

SKIMMER COVER

I like hiding stuff, too, so I think I get what you're after. But I really don't like that key setup. I am in my skimmer all the time, cleaning it, fishing things out of it, etc. Usually once a day to check on it, most days of the year. Sometimes more in the summer. For me, the key would be a nuisance. Are you trying to secure the cover for some reason, or just make it less visible? I wouldn't try to talk you out of making the skimmer more secure. While it is under a basket, there is still an open suction port in there, so... OK. But if it's just to make it a tiny bit less noticeable? Only you are going to notice, or care. A simple finger hole, which allows access without a key, would be so much more convenient, IMO. Mine is round, filled with the same material as my deck. It is no less invisible than the one you are considering, but much simpler to use.

SHADE

I don't like umbrella sleeves, or umbrellas for that matter. The sun moves, the umbrella needs to as well. Umbrellas blow over. No thanks. I provide shade in two ways at my pool (well three if you count the patio cover). A shade sail, and an umbrella on wheels. The shade sail is 100% wind proof. Don't have to worry or even think about it. I never have to remember to take it down. The umbrella roles around and provides extra shade when needed. I hardly ever use it. I tie it to a hitching post when not in use to keep it from blowing over. Shade sail provides shade over deck and pool. We mostly hide from the sun under the patio cover. That's where people gather.

umbrella.jpg

These guys make the best sails. These are structural, not "shade tarps" you buy at big box stores. I like that the supports are in the landscaping, not on/in the deck, or under the shade itself, unlike an umbrella.

shade sail 7.jpg

Just some alternate ideas for ya...

Reactions: freshone
Good info posted above. The Pouralid’s are more for poured surfaces but I’ve seen folks cut stone to fit them. In the link shown, you can see the shape of the tray is not clean. So there would be some work to get the stone to sit properly. But nothing a good mason couldn’t handle I suspect. Ours are 8 years old and have held up well (poured concrete in them). One thing about just having stone with a hole is that if it is dropped (and it will be at some point) it might be more likely to crack. But it would also be replaceable. Keep some xtra stones available. I’ve dropped ours from a few inches high and the plastic absorbed the fall without cracking. But no doubt the stone only is the cleanest look. I do like the concept of the stainless tray. Very high quality. I will look again, but can the unit be used without locking it? Because I agree about not wanting to lock it.

For umbrella sleeves, This is a popular variety in plastic, but I’d set the SS and bond them.

Before I got a robot, I wouldn’t have wanted to be without a main drain, because the pressure side cleaner was so inept In my setup. Though I still like the concept of a main drain. No brainer to get the flush chanel drain style that receives the pebble finish in the top.

Reactions: usfbull and wgipe
@Dirk Thanks for giving your 1 cent :)

Are you saying we should just ask the paver installers to cut a small hole in a paver and place it over the skimmer box?

I will have a pool cage so hoping I won’t be cleaning out the skimmer daily but I have never owned a pool so is that just wishful thinking?

I wasn’t necessarily thinking it needs to be locked. I wonder if it needs to be locked to sit flush. I think the HIDE cover is about $300 so definitely not cheap.

I don’t think I can install a sail shade under the cage, though I do like them.

I agree umbrellas won’t always work depending on time of day, and month of the year. That said we still want a couple of them that tilt in a few places. We don’t care for the look or space the ones with huge bases occupy.

Are you saying we should just ask the paver installers to cut a small hole in a paver and place it over the skimmer box?
My main point was about the key. However you cover/hide the skimmer, some way to get in with just your fingers would be handier. They can still be make near-invisible.

I think the two on the left the skimmer collar is below the surface of the deck and is covered with a lid made from the deck material. The one on the right, which is what I have, the skimmer collar is flush with the deck, the round lid sits in that, and the decking material fills the lid. Mine is concrete. This pic shows what looks to be travertine filling the skimmer lid. I suppose a stone lid could be made to fit inside the skimmer collar, replacing the skimmer lid.

images-1.jpegimages.jpegUnknown.jpeg
I will have a pool cage so hoping I won’t be cleaning out the skimmer daily but I have never owned a pool so is that just wishful thinking?
Oh, cage. So I would expect that would significantly reduce trips into the skimmer. It's primarily leaves and bugs that get caught in mine. And if the cage is animal proof (gophers, frogs, snakes, etc), then there's no need to check for those everyday either.
I don’t think I can install a sail shade under the cage, though I do like them.
Does the cage eliminate wind? Then most of what I suggested about sails and umbrellas wouldn't apply, I was picturing an outdoor uncovered pool...

Ha, no a cage will not eliminate wind. That is why the umbrella sleeve I mentioned above not only is installed in the deck, but an extra attachment that stabilizes the poll for high winds can be purchased.

So for a shade like you suggested it would likely need to be installed outside (above) the cage?

@PoolBrews has a canvas cover attached to the pool cage that looks cool. He is in a different part of the state. I need to call his installer and see if they know of anyone in the Tampa area.

I haven't asked for a quote on the HIDE covers yet. Do you recall who had a build that just used travertine without the HIDE feature? I figured I would ask here to get some ideas and then ask the PB on these items. I know for the umbrella holders he told me to just order them and tell him where we want them placed.
Hey USFBULL since we have the same PB I would be glad to take a few pictures of my Skimmer cover over my Ivory color French pattern Travertine. They matched the color of the skimmer with the travertine color and IMO looks good.

Reactions: usfbull
Hey USFBULL since we have the same PB I would be glad to take a few pictures of my Skimmer cover over my Ivory color French pattern Travertine. They matched the color of the skimmer with the travertine color and IMO looks good.
That would be awesome since we are using the same pavers just a slightly different color. So does your cover sit flush with the pavers?
I asked him about the HIDE covers and he said he hadn’t used them yet. He said if I wanted to buy myself (or he could get quote) he would install no extra cost since he wouldn’t mind seeing one installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.