Double check my closing procedure (main drain)

zeeke42

Aug 7, 2020
Seacoast NH
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
This is my first year in our new house with an in ground pool. The previous owner left a binder with closing instructions, which I followed.
We're about to get our first real deep freeze, so now I'm second guessing things. The pressure side I'm fine with, but I wanted to double check the suction side.

The steps had me first blow out from the strainer basket by the pump with the 3 way valve (selecting between skimmer and main drain) set to the skimmer and plug it. Then, I set the valve back to the middle (drain + skimmer) and blow in to the skimmer until the main drains bubbled for 30 seconds and then install the plug in the skimmer.

I read somewhere on here about instead blowing at the pump strainer with the valve set on main drain until they bubbled and then move the valve while air is still flowing.
Should I get the air compressor out again tomorrow and do it this way before we go in to the teens Wed night?

Last edited:
I'm sorry no one has answered this yet..... and since I don't close my pool I can't help you. But I know someone who can!
Paging @ajw22 He lives up north and can help, I'm sure!

And hey, welcome to TroubleFreePools :) Glad to have you here!

Maddie :flower:

In 14 years since I've owned a pool of my own and for the 15 or so years that I helped my Dad close his inground pool, I've never seen bubbles come from the main drain, using a 6.5 HP Shopvac. On the other hand, the pools that I've cared all have at least an 8 1/2 foot deep end and hold (held) 38, 21, and 27k gallons. So even with the water level lowered during the closing process, there is still the pressure provided by at least 14,000 gallons of liquid.

I pour about 1-2 -3/4 gallon of antifreeze into the pipe, attempt to blow it through, and call it a day. The deep end is typically below the frost line in the Northeast, so water does not tend to freeze down there.

Good luck!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.