CC – 0.5
pH- 8.2
TA – 190
CH – 150
CYA – 20
Br -- 10
Salt 3200
Temp --77
Pool appears clear. Slight brownish on some sides, which brushes away. Just purchased home on Wed and received test kits today (Mon). Previous owner has a pool guy. I will not be using him next year! He did backwash, rinse and vacuum on Tuesday. Had him show me how to backwash. He did not add any chemicals on this visit. After reviewing all the info on this page for the past month i know I need to add acid and CYA. Any other advise??

Welcome to the forum!
Great first set of tests!
Add some muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.4. It will rise pretty quickly with your elevated TA. TA will fall as you manage your pH.
I would suggest adding a bit of CYA now. But you can probably get away with out this time of year by just keeping your SWCG cranking out chlorine. The current FC level is nearly SLAM level.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Good. If you put 20 ppm of CYA in the pool it would be best. You can use Poolmath to determine how much to run the pump/SWCG to generate the chlorine you need. I suspect if you raise your CYA to 40 ppm you will need less than 2 ppm FC each day right now.

I raise cya to 40 and tried to allow FC to drift down, vacuumed to filter two days ago and pool tinted green. When brushing there was a plum of green when two weeks ago when we moved in. I did bring pH down to 7.5 and prior to slam it was still at 7.5. I started slam yesterday. With FC at 16 pH does show 8.2. I don't need to add acid since the reading could be wrong since chloine is high?
How much over 16FC can I add? I added to 17 per pool math.
I know salt is low, can I add that now while I am slamming?
I am learning!! Thanks!!

Follow the SLAM Process. Only test FC during SLAM.

Up to you on the salt. The SWCG will stop producing chlorine when the pool water gets below 60F or so. You will use liquid chlorine then until spring.

Salt of 3200 is ok for this time of year. Your SWG is not going to keep generating for much longer. You will add salt when the water temperature warms up in the Spring.

I am slamming and got a little heavy handed yesterday after FC dropped to 12.5 while I was at work. This morning it was 23. I haven't found much info about how bad it is to go way over the target of 16. I will not do it again!!
Should I be vacuuming on filter? That is what I have been doing.

Attachments

• IMG_20191009_181104_1.jpg
    IMG_20191009_181104_1.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 31
Again yesterday evening FC reading was 12.5 I added 109 ozof 10 liquid chlorine per pool math and this am it was 26. What is going on???
I am using 10ml of water and adding one scoop and counting drops as directed by directions. Could my test kit be bad??

Are you sure you have your pool volume calculated and entered correctly in pool math? Do you have the correct % of chlorine entered in pool math?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, selected 10% bleach on pool math. I am using 10% home depot chlorine. Even if I had wrong value selected, pool math shows a raise of about that much if I had a 5500gallon pool. The reading was at least 4 hours from last addition.

I added half of recommend amount today to raise it to my slam range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.