Dont know what this is nor what to do. Tiniest particles on surface

aodino

Bronze Supporter
Jun 12, 2016
Holmdel NJ
And so Ive searched hear for similar questions but not much i found offering a truly solid answer (at least not that Ive found)

Above ground 18x33 oval.
opened this past week ago.
2 speed cartridge filter runs on low 24/7 as intended and is what I always have done
PH currently barely 7.2 but just boosted via Borax addition so that should come up
the ph was better prior to the heavy rain storms we had this past week on a couple occasions.
Alk was about 70 when I opened but upped it via baking soda and now at 100
CYA was at 25 now at about 35 or maybe 40
I keep FC at about 5 and I often cheat a tad higher though occasionally currently when checking (daily) Im having to add from about 2.5 or3 to get it back up to 5
I have 0 combined chl.

All seems great and water is crystal clear.

EXCPEPT....... the smallest almost clear particles floating on surface that can be seen when surface is non disturbed and the especially when sun glare hits it from a certain angle.
It's bothering me and is something Ive always seen but never at allquite this badly. It was also there prior to the rains so I dont feel the rains caused it. The particles do not clump together to form any kind of patch nor bloom of any sort. They simply float on the surface individually. You likely would never notice unless you catch it at the right angle and while surface is calm. But there are a whole lot of this . Too small for the manual skimmer to pick up as for what I can tell.

I do have a lot of trees around my yard and always battling debris in my pool. Constantly cleaning it. I have a solar cover which does likely prevent truly good automatic skimming of the surface.

Today I gave a good thorough cleaning and manual skimming etc. I just cant seem to look past these almost dust-like particles (though they are almost clear color in nature. Not green nor yellow and definitely not clumping nor forming and tissue like appearance or anything. But they do simply make the pool surface (when noticeable) to be unattractive.

I thought perhaps pollen but that from what i gather pollen is not clear but is often greenish or yellowish. they are not white like paint looking or anything like that either. It just doent seem to match anything as far as what I read in terms of an algae or bacteria. In ne sense I suppose thats good but then what the heck is it?
What is this stuff? Is it alive? is it dead? is it nothing that was ever a living thing to begin with? is it just dust or debri? Why was it never as dominant a thing in the past to this degree?

I left my solar cover off all day while cleaning and also many hours more so as to try to let the filter draw this stuff in. I even placed a surface float (noodle) at the skimmer so as to try to direct as much as i can into the skimmer and of course the filter.
I feel like its a loosing battle. Perhaps it will all slowly improve but i do worry if it should decide to bloom into something real bad.

With a CYA of 40 5 is the bottom of your FC target, not the top. You need to boost the FC up to 7 and never let it drop below 5. What you see may or may not be nascent algae, it could just be airborn plant debris that will never go away. Try keeping the FC up between 7-5 and see if the floaty things go away.
You can run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if you want to make sure nothing is growing in the pool.

With a CYA of 40 5 is the bottom of your FC target, not the top. You need to boost the FC up to 7 and never let it drop below 5. What you see may or may not be nascent algae, it could just be airborn plant debris that will never go away. Try keeping the FC up between 7-5 and see if the floaty things go away.
You can run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if you want to make sure nothing is growing in the pool.
thank you so much for the response and the suggestions. . I upped my fc today and I will certainly try the overnight test likely tomorrow night.
I have been using quite a bit of chl but I chalked it off to sun and the fact that I only recently opened. Though i di feel I iused more than normal.
Coincidence? IDK
But I will be finding out shortly.

In fact I just went and checked and already losing fc.
Heck Im just going to slam right now and maintain for a few days .
We wont be swimming anyway so may as well just do it especially since I am losing FC pretty rapidly. . let ya know when done and how it went.
though i do suspect the particles would still have to eventually be collected somehow even if/when dead.

Its even quite possible they are not the issue but the usage of chlorine might be going to some other separate boom ive yet to see.

reagdless Im slamming now.

Thanks again. we,ll see what happens

Reactions: zea3
Ok so Im just at a loss right now.
Firstly let me say that I do not use the tf100 but I do use (iforget the kit number) but i utilizes the taylor 001,2,1nd 3 etc.
The indicator only goes to 10.
That said i have done slams in the past according to pool math and even though my indicator only goes to 10 I would get (whenever slamming) a color that is darker than the 10 and so it was always a successful slam.

But I just cant seem to ever get the color to look darker than the 10 or for that matter even the 7.5.
My reagents are all kept in house and are all far from expiration dates.
I been slamming with 2 gallons of liquid chl twicw a day since sunday. Thats abour 20 gallons and yet evrytime I check it sems like Im never at and certainly not above 10.

Im beginning to think Im having a reagent issue even though the dates are fine. Ive had them since last year but dont expire till 2022.
I just actually add a few drops of chorine into my tester in addition to the pool water and that didnt even register but the red just disappears completely. .
Perhaps thats normal I dont know.
None the less when I test just the pool water as normal it never seems to go above the 10.

At my work place I have the dpd tablets and Im going to bring a few home tomorrow just to see what my reading is with those.
If im very high then Ill know i have a reagent issue.
My water is clear , I just vacced and brushed yesterday and Im reaching a point of just letting it all go back to normal and see what happens.
But Im going to check with the tabs tomorow.

This whole thing is getting me frustrated. Can actually be using 20 gallons of chlorine (4 per day via 2gals twice per day) ) and still not get the fc level up past 10 yet all my other chemistry was in range? I mean I only needed about 2gallons to statrt the slam and been going with 2 twice daily. i should be tio the moon with fc right now.
This is nuts.

And Iknow about my kit but as said Ive done this in the past (when needed) which hasnt been often at all but none the less it worked. Something is wrong and maybe its just my reagents.

ok so I have not added any chl in 3 days.
I am a happier person today. On Friday I brought home a few "lamotte" test tablets and color indicator to compare to my taylor reagent readings. Unfortunately that color comparison slide also only goes to 10ppm. However the color of the mixture was certainly far beyond the 10. That began to make me feel a tad better. But today I went and obtained a new taylor reagents (0001, 2, 3).
And low and behold my fc level is through the freaking roof.
It was the 0002 which was the issue. Just strange cause it was kept indoors from last year like all my other reagents and its exp date is march of 22. But none the less it was bad. What a shame this alone has caused me all kinds of stress and no usage of my pool for a week.

I still dont know what if anything my original surface particles were/are. In fact I got so caught up in the chlorine level never rising that I dont even know if they are still there or not.

So much chl in my pool for a week now that my pool should be pure of everything and anything at this point. Now I need to just wait for the fc to drop down to swimmable levels. And of course Ill have to see of any my original floating particle situation is anything at all or even still there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.