Dolphin getting stuck

...and now we have a hurricane and flooding rains coming. Won't know about the new covers this weekend either, looks like. You should maybe get a GoPro and film that thing getting stuck. May help others one day. Anyway I would like to watch that!

Good point. Hadn't thought of that. Don't have a GoPro (yet), but the kids have wanted one. This may be the excuse I needed [emoji28]. While I can't complain about hurricane weather, it has been unseasonably cool. Swim weather may be behind us now. Stay safe.

Tried this. Had nothing to lose at this point. Didn’t solve my issue. Spent more time my first pool season removing my Dolphin from drain covers than swimming. Will likely replace this cleaner for next season. Seems like a waste of money, though probably still better than vacuuming the pool manually!

hmmm...guessed I am lucky I bought the Dolphin Triton with caddy before I came to know more about pool robotic cleaner issues. I am not here to advertise Triton but honestly, our free-form pool has ledge, steps and 2 main drain cover which is 3 ft apart exactly like this https://www.acepools.com/products/wg...CCgRoCtN_w_wcB

Our 2 years old Triton does it job for 3 hrs (default cleaning cycle), 3-4 times a week and I have yet to see it get stuck. But so far it never get stuck, did I say never? I even tried to get it stuck right in the corner of the steps on purpose but nah...it always managed to free itself. The only problem I had last time is, it attempted to climbed pass the water line but that is just because I overfilled the pool hence user error! I'll get the same model in a heartbeat if this one die on me.

Tried this. Had nothing to lose at this point. Didn’t solve my issue. Spent more time my first pool season removing my Dolphin from drain covers than swimming. Will likely replace this cleaner for next season. Seems like a waste of money, though probably still better than vacuuming the pool manually!

Miles,

I'm not sure all main drain covers are created equal... It might be worth a try to see if you can get a slightly different profile cover and see if that works. Cheaper than a new cleaner..

Jim R.

Thanks Jim R. I recently had my SCUBA equipment out to play in pool. Was down inspecting the drains [emoji23] couldn’t find any visual issues for the life of me.

Might you be able to recommend a good place to get standardized drain cover replacements? Surely something flat or low profile would solve the problem. I’m sure it’s not the suction causing the issue, as it happens even when pump is off.

Miles,

I would suspect the issue is that the drain cover is high enough that the cleaner bottoms out on it and lifts the drive track off the bottom of the pool.

You can't buy flat covers anymore, but you maybe can get one that is not quite as tall...

I have never tried this, so I'm just guessing.. I have no idea where you could buy one, but I would try Goggling "Low profile Main Drain covers"

Since you can SCUBA, I would remove one of the covers and measure it and then see if you can get a smaller one.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wish I had a 3D printer. Unfortunately I do not. My 2 main drain covers are Hayward 8 in. Model WGX1048E. Appears the dimensions are 8 x 6.2 x 2.2 inches so 2.2 inches in height being too high for my pool robot.

Not quite sure best place to call that would be knowledgable about replacement parts? Needless to say my PB was of now help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does anyone have the dual drive motor dolphins getting stuck? My Dolphin would get stuck on our drains all the time. When the pump was off it was a little better, sometimes it would eventually free itself but usually I'd end up freeing it so it didn't spend 30 minutes on the drain. My smart pool cleaner with dual drive gets stuck on there too, but even with the pump running, its maybe 2 minutes at most before it frees itself. Could be that its a slightly different design, but I'm betting most likely that the dual drive is letting it spin around a little better to get off.

Has anyone found a better robot that doesn’t have this issue? I’m so tired of my Dolphin constantly getting hung up on my drains. Just seems to get perched on top of them, spinning in circles until I’m able to yank the power cable. Often it’s back on same drain within minutes. While still better than manual vacuuming, I’m h able to benefit from a “set it and forget it” robot cleaner. Would order a different one...wouldn’t mind WiFi remote control but not critical.

Was looking for a reliable model before shopping online.

Yup, it has the center brush so it doesn't get high-centered.

Our Active 20 will rest on our drains but does always get off in less than a minute - and continue being Active.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.