Dolphin getting stuck

I use a polaris unicover. You can get them for around $45 from Amazon. No more stuck robots for me. I've been using them for many years. I will add that they only last around 3 or 4 seasons (I'm on my third unicover this year). But it is cheap insurance to keep the robot from getting stuck.

How ugly are they? [emoji3] please also post link to specific Amazon SKU. Thanks!

Good point! I've just ordered 2 of these. Am at end of my rope with my Z5 getting stuck and having to yank the cord to free it from drain cover.

Can these covers be installed on top of the existing cover, clicking into place, without having to dive down to drain cover?

They are somewhat heavy and rest on top of the current drain cover. I will add that my current main drain cover was too tall and I had to modify the unicover to make sure it rests on the bottom on the pool floor.

They are somewhat heavy and rest on top of the current drain cover. I will add that my current main drain cover was too tall and I had to modify the unicover to make sure it rests on the bottom on the pool floor.

Very helpful. I've ordered 2 (white, same as current drain covers). Will be on bottom of deepen end of pool (8-9 ft). They arrive tomorrow. Will report back.

Received 2 Unicovers today. Installed one. Glad. They're ineffective because my drain covers are too high off the bottom. Will need to return them.

Is it possible to just replace existing covers with flush mount versions? I have this style Hayward drain covers:

https://www.acepools.com/products/w...4pzrwuBoH7AczbhmmLyw_2Wn8UC1K2RCCgRoCtN_w_wcB

I ordered low-profile covers from Ace also, but the AquaStar model in light blue...because my plaster is light blue and my drains look like they have a star on the top. The low profiles are 1" high and what I have now is either 1.5" or 1.75", I do not recall. However, in my particular case, my order was 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting.

Here is a link to what I ordered
https://www.acepools.com/products/lp8avwr104

BTW, I received the new tank treads and they also did not fix the getting stuck issue. At least now, I have spares LOL. IF the new drain covers fit, and IF I can install them in 8 feet of water, and IF they cure the problem, this is the right way to go.

<edit. fixed link/>

MarkTX, am really intrigued by the main drain cover you linked. I think this is same one. Had a schematic showing dimensions. Are these 8-inch drain covers mostly interchangeable? In other words, use the existing plate and mount the new cover with 2 screws? Or do they require you to remove entire drain cover down to the gunite and use entirely new mounting kit? If so it could mean going down on a tank of air.

AquaStar LP8AVWR101 Low Profile Suction Outlet Drain Covers on Sale at YourPoolHQ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will post a picture of the modification I did to the unicover to make it work for me as soon as I can. I'm at work now.

Essentially, I cut a hole in the center of the hard plastic center piece.

It is not exact and I used MSpaint on a pic I found online, but this is what I did. I cut through the plastic on the outer most ring of holes.
cover.jpg

I will still get a pic of my cover installed.

Last edited:
I found this thread while looking for a replacement robot for a 9300 Polaris unit that died on me. I was debating vs the M400 and the S300. I got the S300 today and used the old Polaris unicover drain cover (UFO) to make a ramp around the drain, same as Sk1dM4rk. My renovated pool came with high WaterWay grill.

The M400 Demo unit I tired has no issues with the drain. Great unit but I found it too heavy for my family to take out from the pool. was getting scratched on ruff texture of the pools concert bull nose finish.

I am very anxious to see if the S300 will get stuck with and without the UFO. Local pool shop sales person was told me received no complains of the S300 getting stuck on covers. Are you robot similar to the S300 ?

Picture of a spare drain grill with the Polaris cover center section craved out with a dremel

7enB3Jom.jpg

Still a bit of a bump with the cover UFO on the grill

mI4GLbjm.jpg

Not sure, I shall see and let you know.

MarkTX, were you ever successful in finding a remedy for the Dolphin sticking to drain covers?

I've spent so much time pulling my Dolphin off drains today, let alone this entire summer, that it feels more like a manual cleaner.

Am giving serious consideration to buying a new robot cleaner altogether. Though I'm not quite sure which one to get. Not to mention, not all of them are sold online and would prefer not to pay pool store markups.

MarkTX, were you ever successful in finding a remedy for the Dolphin sticking to drain covers?

I received the new covers, it took about 8 weeks :(
And I do not know if they will work yet.
I find myself lacking an 8 ft screwdriver...maybe a cheap screwdriver cemented into a pvc pipe will work. Been having too many guests and spending too many hours at work to fool with it. Did I mention its like 100 degrees outside

Lol. We broke out my SCUBA gear a couple weeks ago to mess around in the pool. I went down to bottom, sat and watched my Dolphin get stuck in realtime. There was absolutely no visible reason why it would or should. Each pass seemed like a coincidence. Frustrating.

I had the issue a couple times. Starting the robot from the opposite end of the pool from where I used to start it seemed to fix the problem.

Interesting. Not sure why it would matter which end of the pool, but I've not tried this method. At this point, am willing to try anything [emoji3] Will give it a shot and confirm back.

...and now we have a hurricane and flooding rains coming. Won't know about the new covers this weekend either, looks like. You should maybe get a GoPro and film that thing getting stuck. May help others one day. Anyway I would like to watch that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.