Doing a SLAM and got over an inch of rain :(

MissMM

Jun 17, 2020
Texas
New member: I was slamming my pool (with my best guess at numbers based on test strips and local pool store tests) and was at the point where the water was white and cloudy with improving visibility. Then it rained about 2 inches last night. I got my K2006 test kit today with these results:

FC 4.4
CC .4
PH 7.5
TA 180
CH 100
CYA 90

I am using liquid bleach 10% and acid only. Pool is 40K gallons IG plaster and filled with well water. What do I do now? Thanks for all advice!

The rain did you a favor. Your CYA is waaaaay too high to try a SLAM. You need to replace some water. Too bad you didn't know how much you'd get so you could have made room for the CYA-free rain water.

Step one is replace some water to get the CYA down to 50 or 60. Then just follow SLAM Process

If you prefer the movie to the book

Reactions: MissMM
I knew the CYA was high but had to guess what it was. Pool store said 120 and test strips said 150. We have drained and replaced about 1/3 of the water twice in the last week. I can do it again but this time am wondering if I should just drain and empty it?

I knew the CYA was high but had to guess what it was. Pool store said 120 and test strips said 150. We have drained and replaced about 1/3 of the water twice in the last week. I can do it again but this time am wondering if I should just drain and empty it?
You'll still have to SLAM it after you refill. It may take a little less bleach is all. And you'll have to add some CYA. But it's your pool.

I'd drain another 1/3, refill and then test to see where you're at. Like Richard said, either way you'll need to SLAM it and being in Texas you'd likely want to have a higher CYA level. If the water was nasty green then a drain and fill might be a better fit but it sounds like your water isn't all that bad, just need to get the numbers and cloudiness under control. It's normal when fighting a pool issue to think that just starting over is best but not necessarily.

Redid the CYA test since I did not hold at waist level in full sun at my back and got 80. Still high. I just added 8 gallons of liquid chlorine and started draining some more. I'm going to try to stick it out and not totally empty it. Refilling it is hard on the well pump. Thanks for the advice!

You'll still have to SLAM it after you refill. It may take a little less bleach is all. And you'll have to add some CYA. But it's your pool.
I drained about a foot of water and got even more rain overnight. My FC was 21 yesterday. FC 16.5 just now. Keep adding liquid chlorine or wait until drain/refill is complete- then test and start SLAM over?

I drained about a foot of water and got even more rain overnight. My FC was 21 yesterday. FC 16.5 just now. Keep adding liquid chlorine or wait until drain/refill is complete- then test and start SLAM over?
Don;t bother adding bleach if you're just going to pump it out! Once you're done with the water exchange and it's had time to mix, test CYA and then raise FC accordingly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.