Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I was about to buy from Marina for $699, but then I saw this on Amazon.

Isn't this the same thing as the S200/Active 20? Or am I missing something?

I'm happy to go with the S200 @ $699 w/Marina if it's a superior cleaner. But if it's same-same, I'm hard-pressed not to save myself $100.
I think that one has the same features as the Active 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: squirk

I'm happy to go with the S200 @ $699 w/Marina if it's a superior cleaner. But if it's same-same, I'm hard-pressed not to save myself $100.

Select the two units for comparison

CC has a 1 year vs 2 year warranty, doesn’t do water line, doesn’t have a swivel cable, has one brush instead of 2, has a smaller basket, and the cable length is 33’ instead of 50’

Reactions: squirk
Got the S200 yesterday, from Marina, $699 total cost. They did the filter swap at no cost. Thanks for all the great info on this post, really helped me decide among the many cleaner options. Ran it through a cleaning cycle yesterday and it did a great job. Kind of entertaining to watch this thing. Haven't named it... yet.

Chris

Reactions: bmoreswim

The unit on amazon i believe only has 1 brush vs 2 brushes for the S200 and S300

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have the S200 for 5 months now. While it's doing fine, but I don't think it's cleaning as well as my last 1st generation Nautilus Plus. The Nautilus Plus actually scrubbed the plaster pretty well. A bit disappointed by S200's performance...

Last edited:
Scrubbing the plaster is not the main goal of this robot (or any robot). The flappy rollers are really to move debris into the basket and while doing so, they contact the surface some. The manufacturers may say it is equivalent to brushing but it's really not. Flat rubber flaps are not equivalent to bristles entering the depths of plaster surface. Though it's better than nothing. Digging a littler deeper, what is your reason for feeling the plaster is not being scrubbed well? What signs are you seeing that are leading to that conclusion?

Yes, the rubber scrubbers are not substitute for brushing but if the robot is used consistently you most likely need only to brush where the robot can't get to like the various surfaces in and around steps and ladders. I would say that on a vinyl pool you can call it the same except for those places the robot doesn't reach.

Scrubbing the plaster is not the main goal of this robot (or any robot). The flappy rollers are really to move debris into the basket and while doing so, they contact the surface some. The manufacturers may say it is equivalent to brushing but it's really not. Flat rubber flaps are not equivalent to bristles entering the depths of plaster surface. Though it's better than nothing. Digging a littler deeper, what is your reason for feeling the plaster is not being scrubbed well? What signs are you seeing that are leading to that conclusion?

It's as simple as how clean the bottom and walls are after a cycle, comparing to the Nautilus I had.

Yes, the rubber scrubbers are not substitute for brushing but if the robot is used consistently you most likely need only to brush where the robot can't get to like the various surfaces in and around steps and ladders. I would say that on a vinyl pool you can call it the same except for those places the robot doesn't reach.

Yeah, I understand that there are always places where the robots can't reach. I'm not talking about that. It's the middle bottom and walls. Also, I have a rectangular shape pool, so there are not obstacles the robot has to deal with. Maybe because the S200 is a bit smaller and lighter...

Things that are on the walls of a pool are most often algae related versus dirt type debris. Dirt and leaves don't usually accumulate on the walls. I was trying to determine if what you really have is an algae growth problem on the walls that the other vac was dislodging better than this one. If it is algae, then the robot is not the issue as your other one may have been mechanically removing some of it, but the algae formation is still at issue. If so, attention would turn towards dealing with an algae issue versus robot ability. That's where I was going with my line of questioning.

Things that are on the walls of a pool are most often algae related versus dirt type debris. Dirt and leaves don't usually accumulate on the walls. I was trying to determine if what you really have is an algae growth problem on the walls that the other vac was dislodging better than this one. If it is algae, then the robot is not the issue as your other one may have been mechanically removing some of it, but the algae formation is still at issue. If so, attention would turn towards dealing with an algae issue versus robot ability. That's where I was going with my line of questioning.

LOL, yeah, I do have a tiny bit of the "algae on plaster" from time to time - true, I see what you're saying. Since it's too cold to actually use the pool at this point, it wouldn't go "full green" as long as the pool is maintained with the "minimum effort" as suppose to what's like in the summer. Usually, when the water gets so cold, I wouldn't get algae, and the once a week robot run would just pickup the dirt and other stuff.

Back to the robots, even when I had the light algae, the Nautilus would actually scrub the bottom and walls pretty clean. With the S200, I would have to manually brush, wait a bit for the dust to settle, and then have the robot go to work. Dolphin's web site also advertises that the S200 has the active brushing to get rid of algae, but in my case, it's not doing it as well as my old Nautilus (Plus).

This is my experience with the S200 for the last 7 months and Nautilus Plus for the last 2.5 years (yep, I wished that it would last longer than that). Others may see differently with the S200 in their own pool and comparison with their previous models.

My S200 is 18 months old and I noticed that sometimes the brushes and tracks stopped moving. It also made some noises while underwater. I took it apart and the problem is the gear that is attached to the motor is wiggling and a as a result the gear sometimes slips.

I can't see anything broken or out of place though. I wonder if the blue rubber tracks that hold the wheels together have become too lose and don't apply enough pressure anymore to keep that wheel in place to where the gear works fine.

Did anybody else have this problem?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.